According to Wikipedia: “The Inns of Chancery or Hospida Cancellarie were a group of buildings and legal institutions in London initially attached to the Inns of Court and used as offices for the clerks of chancery, from which they drew their name. Existing from at least 1344, the Inns gradually changed their purpose, and became both the offices and accommodation for solicitors (as the Inns of Court were to barristers) and a place of initial training for barristers.
The practice of training barristers at the Inns of Chancery had died out by 1642, and the Inns instead became dedicated associations and offices for solicitors. With the founding of the Society of Gentlemen Practisers in 1739 and the Law Society of England and Wales in 1825, a single unified professional association for solicitors, the purpose of the Inns died out, and after a long period of decline the last one (Clement’s Inn) was sold in 1903 and demolished in 1934…
(Staple Inn was abolished as a civil parish in 1930. From 1900 it had been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn. It was designated a Grade I listed building in 1974, and is the last surviving Inn of Chancery. Although it was dissolved with the other Inns of Chancery in the 19th Century, the part Tudor building was not demolished.)
…John Fortescue wrote of ten Inns of Chancery, each one attached to an Inn of Court “like Maids of Honour to a Princess”. Only nine are known of in detail; the other was St George’s Inn.
The ten Inns were:
• Clement’s Inn, Lyon’s Inn and Clifford’s Inn attached to the Inner Temple,
• St George’s Inn, Strand Inn, and New Inn attached to the Middle Temple,
• Furnival’s Inn and Thavie’s Inn attached to Lincoln’s Inn, and
• Staple Inn and Barnard’s Inn attached to Gray’s Inn.
(An eleventh Inn of Chancery, the Outer Temple, was said to exist by the legal historian John Baker in 2008. This is denied by other writers.)”