From Historic England entry:
“Bolt Court is part of a network of alleys and courts north of Fleet Street, reflecting the mediaeval urban form of the City of London. The concentration of the newspaper offices along Fleet Street in the early C20 led the LCC to build a Technical School for printing operations, with a speciality in illustrative techniques. [Pevsner N., rev. Bradley, S., ‘Buildings of England’ London 1: The City of London, 1997, pp. 502-3]”
From the website Artist Biographies:
“(Artbiogs has been researched and produced by Geoff Hassell with the in-depth knowledge and experience he gained through more than 45 years of being an avid collector and more than 25 years as a reputable art dealer. Geoff, who is well known and equally well regarded amongst the art collecting and gallery community, is also responsible for the definitive publication on Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts.)
The foundation of the London College of Printing came about in 1883 via the establishment of the City of London Parochial Charities Act which aimed to offer improved supervision of charitable funds thus benefiting the inhabitants of these London city parishes by the development of learning and work prospects. This Act established the St. Bride Foundation Institute Printing School, which opened at the end of 1894. The same year saw the opening of a Guild and Technical School in Clerkenwell Road aimed at the enhancement of apprentice skills of journeymen engravers and lithographers. In 1895 the establishment relocated to Bolt Court, where it became known as the Bolt Court Technical School. The School was subsequently renamed the London County Council School of Photoengraving and Lithography. The establishment has had several guises which include the College for the Distributive Trades, London School of Printing and Graphic Arts and between 1990 and 2001 it was known as the London College of Printing and Distributive Trades. On 1 Jan 1986, the London College of Printing merged along with Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts, the Central School of Arts & Crafts, Chelsea School of Art, the College for the Distributive Trades, the London College of Fashion and St. Martin’s School of Art to form the London Institute. Perhaps the School’s most ‘unusual’ alumnus was comedian Kenneth Williams who attended there from 1940 where he trained as a draughtsman prior to his army call-up.”
See also: the post “Bolt Court” on the blog The Stories Behind London’s Streets.