From Historic England 1987 entry:
“CITY OF WESTMINSTER VICTORIA EMBANKMENT SW1 83/34 Hungerford House GV II Former generating station, now library. 1900-01, by the L.C.C. Architects Department, built as electricity generating station for street lighting. Portland stone, slate roof (brick rear). Arts and Crafts Free Style Baroque. 1 storey and attic in steep hipped roof, on basement. 3 bay symmetrical front articulated by pilasters, one bay similar returns and functional canted rear for service and staircase. Central entrance with double doors, recessed up flight of steps cut through plinth, in moulded jambs with dentilled doorhead under fanlight and semicircular spaced voussoir and keystone arch; the whole boldly framed by pairs of rusticated Doric pilasters, on high pedestals, carrying break in entablature surmounted by big semicircular pediment containing high relief sculpture in the manner of William Silver Frith. The flanking bays have large semicircular arched small paned casement windows with cyma drip moulds and cartouche keystones carved with symbolic light rays. Deep plinth, with 2-light mullioned windows; projecting pedestals as on entrance, to paired quoin pilasters; frieze and heavy cornice surmounted by parapet balustraded between dies. The tent roof dormers and the squat Ionic columned polygonal cupola-vent on of ridge of more overtly Arts and Crafts design.”
From website of *Hungerford Virtual Museum:
“In 1669 his** London home, Hungerford House, was burned down, whereupon he established a weekly market on the site (built by Christopher Wren). The market house was removed in 1860 when Charing Cross Railway Station was built. The bridge which carries the trains to the South Bank of the Thames is still called Hungerford Bridge.”
**Sir Edward Hungerford IV (1632-1711) – “The Spendthrift”.