From British History Online:
“At the Natural History Museum (Alfred) Waterhouse was asked in June 1881 to make plans for a separate building to house objects preserved in spirit. He estimated that his design would cost £7,350 exclusive of fittings, and fortunately an acceptable tender was offered (by George Shaw) at £7,200. The detached building at the rear of the museum was finished by March 1883.
This does not survive, but another ancillary building, the residential Lodge (pictured above) designed by Waterhouse in 1883 to accommodate an engineer and messenger in semi-detached houses, still stands near Queen’s Gate.”
From Historic England entries:
“Two storeys, the ground floor at the level of the garden, below street level, giving the appearance of a single storey dwelling. A projecting central bay beneath a hipped roof has a pair of dormer windows to the west and east elevations beneath gablets. The roof is topped by a central ornate stack and two end finials. There are single round-arched windows on the ground floor to the east and west, and at the first floor to the north and south. Wide-arched entrances are at the north and south.
The former Porter’s Lodge to the front of the Museum, near to its Cromwell Road entrance, is the survivor of a pair (the other, a Policeman’s Lodge, was destroyed in the Second World War). It is single storey, clad in buff terracotta with a hipped, slated roof topped with leaded finials. An external chimney on its north elevation has a decorated stack, beneath which is a roundel with a lion’s head in relief. There is a small round-arched opening on its west elevation, and a door at the south. The interior was not inspected.”
Fiona MacCarthy: William Morris (1994) Chapter Nine: Iceland 1871:
“At three in the morning on 13 July Morris at last saw Iceland. Magnusson shook him awake. Morris had been dreaming. His dream was of The Grange, the Burne-Joneses’ house in Fulham, which in one of those bizarre dreamers’ displacements stood in Queen’s Gate, South Kensington, instead. When he pulled himself together and heaved himself on deck he found that Papey, the small island at the south-east corner of Iceland and inhabited by Irish monks before the Norse colonisation, was coming into view.”