From Historic England entry:
“Inter-war ‘improved’ or ‘reformed’ pubs stemmed from a desire to cut back on the amount of drunkenness associated with conventional Victorian and Edwardian public houses. Licensing magistrates and breweries combined to improve the facilities and reputation of the building type. Improved pubs were generally more spacious than their predecessors, often with restaurant facilities, function rooms and gardens, and consciously appealed to families and to a mix of incomes and classes. Central, island serveries with counters opening onto several bar areas allowed the monitoring of customers and also the efficient distribution of staff to whichever area needed service. Many, although not all, of the new pubs were built as an accompaniment to new suburban development around cities, and a policy of ‘fewer and better’ was followed by magistrates both in town and on the outskirts. A licence might be granted for a new establishment on surrender of one or more licences for smaller urban premises. Approximately 1,000 new pubs were built in the 1920s – the vast majority of them on ‘improved’ lines – and almost 2,000 in the period 1935-39. Neo-Tudor and Neo-Georgian were the favoured styles, although others began to appear at the end of the period.
The suburb of Petts Wood, originally in Kent but now part of the London Borough of Bromley, was created by the estate developer Basil Scruby, and was influenced by the garden city movement. Following the construction of Petts Wood railway station in 1928 work began on the suburb to the east of the station and in the same year Scruby began negotiations with Charrington’s Brewery to build a public house on the triangular island at the centre of Station Square. Initially a petition was signed by local residents opposing the project but the objections ceased when the brewery agreed to design the pub in the Tudor style to match other buildings in the new suburb. The architect was Sidney Charles Clark (1894-1962), chief architect at Charrington’s between 1924-59. The building tender was £21,665 and the final cost was £31,401.
The Daylight Inn opened in December 1935 occupying about half of the triangular island in Station Square. The name was chosen to honour William Willett (1856-1915) who led the campaign for daylight saving, first introduced in 1916. The building was originally both a public house and hotel with thirteen bedrooms. Although the original plans are not thought to have survived, a plan dated 12 July 1942 for a proposed ‘rest centre shelter’ shows the ground floor plan of the building at that time and there are also a number of historic photographs.
In 1996 the building was re-worked following a takeover by Bass Taverns, designed by architects John Rogers Associates of Canterbury. The owners are currently (2015) Mitchells & Butlers.”