*In a Station of the Metro BY EZRA POUND, “a quintessential Imagist text”.
Pictured: blossom in Alexandra Road, Kew.
From geocache by geoibsons:
“Most of the roads in Kew were built on land owned by the Selwyns, and they picked the road names. However, a couple of roads were built on fields that didn’t belong to the Selwyn’s at all. They belonged to the Crown, having been outlying paddocks of George III’s farm. Two roads, therefore, had royal names – Alexandra and Battenberg.
Alexandra Road was unfortunately hit by a bomb during The Blitz. It fell on No. 25 and it goes to explain why Nos. 23-27 look completely different to the rest of the street. Battenberg Road has since changed its name. In the First World War, when the Battenbergs diplomatically became the Mountbattens, the road went further. It changed its name to Windsor.”
“Anti-German feeling during the First World War led George V to change the name of the Royal House in July 1917 from the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to the House of Windsor. He also relinquished, on behalf of his various relatives who were British subjects, the use of all German titles and styles.
The Battenberg family relinquished their titles of Prince and Princess of Battenberg and the styles of Highness and Serene Highness. Under royal warrant, they instead took the surname Mountbatten, an Anglicised form of Battenberg. As such, Prince Alexander became Sir Alexander Mountbatten. On 7 November 1917, he was created Marquess of Carisbrooke, Earl of Berkhamsted and Viscount Launceston.
On 19 July 1917, Lord Carisbrooke, who would live to be the last surviving grandson of Queen Victoria, married Lady Irene Denison at the Chapel Royal of St James’s Palace.”
After the war they lived at King’s Cottage, overlooking Kew Gardens, one of the dwindling number of “grace and favour” houses at the disposal of the Queen.
David Richardson, author of Mr Jones from London Town (2014) attended Kings School, Kew during WWII, and recalled visits there by the Marchioness of Carisbrooke, who died in 1956. The Marquess died in 1960.