Image: example of a 19th century Italianate villa, East Twickenham
(c1835:House built in grounds of Twickenham Park
1840 Dr Michael Barry > 1853
1850 House known as Caen Lodge
1855 Lord Willoughby de Eresby until 1866
1872 George Child
1879 House known as Bertie House
c1886 House known as Willoughby House)
Henry Edward Kendall Junior (1805–1885) – see previous post – was a British architect. Kendall was the son of Henry Edward Kendall, also an architect. Both were among the co-founders of what became the Royal Institute of British Architects.
From the website of Kensal Green Cemetery:
“…The General Cemetery Company had purchased land for the cemetery in 1831 and promoted a competition for the design of a new Cemetery at Kensal Green. The brief included two chapels with catacombs, entrance gateway with lodges and a landscaped layout for monuments. There were 48 entrants, and the winner was Henry Edward Kendall (1776- 1875) for his designs for buildings in the Gothic style which can be seen in his perspective drawing in the RIBA Architectural Library.
However, the Chairman of the General Cemetery Company preferred a neo-classical design of building and persuaded the Surveyor to the Company, John Griffith, to draw up new designs in the Greek Revival Style. It was Griffith’s designs which were eventually built…”
From the Wembley Matters website: guest post by Philip Grant, in a personal capacity:
“A Brent Council news release on 24 January, about the Cabinet’s decision to go ahead with a redevelopment scheme at Morland Gardens, said that this would ‘create a landmark building in the heart of Stonebridge.’ It did not mention that the plans involve the demolition of a Victorian villa, which has been a landmark building in the heart of this community since 1876.
The original Stonebridge Park Estate was developed by the architect H.E. Kendall Jr. between 1872 and 1876, to provide “smart new villas for City men”. One of the first buildings, in this new suburb of the village of Harlesden, was the Stonebridge Park Hotel, now a Grade II listed building. At least sixty villa homes were built on a 35 acre site, which benefitted from a nearby station (Stonebridge Park – not the one on the Bakerloo Line!) in Craven Park, on the Midland and South-Western Junction railway, that opened in 1875. The villas were built in the “Italianate” style, which was very fashionable in the mid-Victorian period, following its use by Prince Albert when building Osborne House, Queen Victoria’s holiday home on the Isle of Wight…
Brent Council’s plan for the site of “Altamira” is: ‘to invest up to £43m to deliver a state of the art adult education centre, 65 new affordable homes, 675 sq metres affordable workspace for start-up businesses from the local community, and a public facing café.’…But there is an alternative, as the architects were asked to submit two possible schemes, one of which included retaining the Victorian villa, which is a locally listed building. That scheme would provide around 30 homes (with the same 32% of 3 and 4 bed units), and virtually the same extra facilities as the other scheme…
If councillors want to see more detailed documents and plans about the alternative option for retaining the Victorian villa at 1 Morland Gardens they should ask for these from Amar Dave, Strategic Director, Regeneration and Environment. Amar.Dave@brent.gov.uk”
From A New Matrix for Modernism (2002) by Nellijean Rice:
“…In 1876 Kendall and Mew won the competition for the building of the new Hampstead Vestry Hall. However, a losing competitor wrote to the local newspaper, the Hampstead & Highgate Express, about a vestryman who had been touting the merits of a design that he had seen previous to the competition. The loser asserted that said design did not really meet the requirements of the project. Shortly thereafter, it was rumoured that Henry Kendall, who had been Hampstead’s District surveyor since 1844, had an unfair advantage in the contest. By the time the building was completed in November, 1878, Hampstead residents had complained in their newspaper about the bright red brick facade that made them dizzy, about the vestry having to crouch in the half-finished hallways, and that the date carved over the entrance, 1877, was foolishly optimistic for a design whose motto was cavendo tutus (caution means safety). The cloud of suspicion and innuendo that grew over the building of the Hampstead Vestry Hall damaged the reputation of Kendall and Mew…”.