“The original Clapham Park Estate was a speculative development by Thomas Cubitt, who bought 229 acres (0.93 km2) of Bleak Hall Farm in 1825, and marked out plots for building around the new, broad, tree-lined streets of Kings Avenue, Clarence Avenue, Poynders Road and Atkins Road. The estate was planned to consist of large detached houses in Cubitt’s characteristic Italianate villa style, with each house set in extensive grounds. However, Cubitt’s ambitions were never fulfilled, and some plots remained undeveloped at the outbreak of World War I. Cubitt’s own residence, Lincoln House, was demolished in 1905, and Rodenhurst Road, a street of large, double-fronted, semi-detached Edwardian houses, was laid out on the site. British statesman Arthur Henderson once lived at number 13 and there is a Blue Plaque on the house indicating this. With the adoption of Poynders Road as the arterial “South Circular” road, this area is now severed from the area further south by traffic, and the streets south of Poynders Road are not generally referred to as being part of Clapham Park.”
From the website of La Retraite RC Girls’ School, Atkins Road, Clapham Park:
“La Retraite School was founded in 1880, in what used to be known as Clapham Park, by Les Dames de La Retraite. They were sisters who had travelled from France with the aim of establishing a girls’ school in South London. Their religious order had been founded by Catherine De Francheville in Vannes in 1674.
The sisters enabled women to go on retreat and thus escape from the burdens of their everyday life, contemplate their relationship with God, and return to their duties enlivened by the intercession of the Holy Spirit…The new French Republic had tried to suppress any interest in this kind of devotion.
The sisters first bought Oakfield House, previously owned by the family of the Victorian portrait painter, De Lazlo. This now forms the heart of the convent next door to our school. By 1897, they had bought The Oaks which was pulled down in 1935 to make way for the new school chapel and dining hall in the undercroft below the chapel.
In 1904, a third house called Springfield House was bought from the family of the famous music hall artist, Dan Leno, who was known as “the funniest man in the world and champion clog dancer”. The Sisters were also lucky enough to buy the huge field behind the school site which is now our sports pitch. The house next door, Burlington House, was soon purchased and linked with Springfield House.”
“Philip Alexius de László, MVO, RBA (Hungarian: László Fülöp Elek, 30 April 1869 – 22 November 1937) was an Anglo-Hungarian painter known particularly for his portraits of royal and aristocratic personages.
He was apprenticed at an early age to a photographer while studying art, eventually earning a place at the National Academy of Art, where he studied under Bertalan Székely and Károly Lotz. He followed this with studies in Munich and Paris. László’s portrait of Pope Leo XIII earned him a Grand Gold Medal at the Paris International Exhibition in 1900. In 1903 László moved from Budapest to Vienna. In 1907 he moved to England and remained based in London for the remainder of his life, although endlessly travelling the world to fulfill commissions.
In 1900, László married Lucy Madeleine Guinness, a member of the banking branch of the Guinness family and a sister of Henry Guinness. They had first met in Munich in 1892, but for some years had been forbidden to see each other. The couple had six children and 17 grandchildren.”