Early C18 terrace of 3-storey houses, each 2 windows wide. Brown and pinkish brick. Pantiled roof to parapet. Moulded door surrounds with open pedimented hoods. Square, gauged headed flush framed sash windows. Ground floor window of 46 altered. Continuous rear extension to all houses, under separate hipped and pantiled roof, and weatherboarded. At the time the road was numbered in 1910, the terrace was known as 1-5 Jessamine Cottages. Also previously known as Barrack Row/New Street Row.
From: The Changing Face of Station Road, Hampton (2014), by John Sheaf:
“The first Police Station in Hampton was at what is now known as No 46 Station Road. The stable (still remaining in the front garden) was built to house the patrol’s horse and fodder. Hampton was initially part of “V” Division, established in 1830, and later, from October 1865, became part of “T” Division and is now part of South West “SW” Division.
Initially police were not based locally but from c1839 there are indications that they were. There is an entry in the Vestry minutes for January 1840 making a rate for relief of the poor and “for providing the sum required to be paid to the receiver for maintaining the police for the six months next insuing”. The 1841 Census shows William Sampson as the residence officer. In the 20th century No 46 was occupied by Frederick King, painter, and then by Frederick King & Sons, builders between World War One and World War Two, and possibly later. The stables were then used for storage of materials and propping ladders, rather than for housing a horse.”
“Metropolitan Police patrols took to the streets on 29 September 1829, despite resistance from certain elements of the community who saw them to be a threat to civil liberties. The initial force consisted of two Commissioners, eight Superintendents, 20 Inspectors, 88 Sergeants and 895 Constables, patrolling the streets within a seven-mile (11 km) radius of Charing Cross, in order to prevent crime and pursue offenders. Between 1829 and 1830, 17 local divisions each with its own police station were established, each lettered A to V, allocating each London borough with a designated letter. These divisions were: A (Westminster); B (Chelsea); C (Mayfair and Soho); D (Marylebone); E (Holborn); F (Kensington); G (Kings Cross); H (Stepney); K (West Ham); L (Lambeth); M (Southwark); N (Islington); P (Peckham); R (Greenwich); S (Hampstead); T (Hammersmith) and V (Wandsworth). In 1865 three more divisions were created, W (Clapham); X (Willesden) and Y (Tottenham); J Division (Bethnal Green) was added in 1886.”