From: The Changing Face of Station Road, Hampton (2014), by John Sheaf:
“The present Police Station building at 68 Station Road dates to 1905. The Surrey Comet reported that in 1900 a new Police Station had been proposed. The police then purchased a plot from the Earl of Carlisle’s Manor House estate. The new Police Station and adjacent shops were all built on Warfield which was then part of the Manor House estate. By August 1904 the Surrey Comet reported that “a new and more commodious Police Station is being erected in Station Road near the World’s End public house by Messrs Collinson of Teddington”. Much later a very old Hampton resident recalled: “The new station was modern but only consisted of a charge room, office, three single cells, one cell for more than one and this had a lavatory which could be isolated by a sliding door operated from outside, a section house (hostel) and a billiard room. A boyish joke was to be shown over the station and then isolate the guide in the lavatory. Of course one had to be able to run!”
In October 1935 the Hampton UDC minutes record the Council had received a letter from the Metropolitan Police stating that the “rebuilding” of Hampton Police Station was now in progress. The rebuilding was by way of extensions to the earlier building and included the addition of a large two-storey building at the back of the property which was used for vehicle maintenance although this work was contracted out in more recent years. The parking area for police vehicles in front of this additional building was much extended by the purchase and demolition of four old cottages (formerly 60-66 Station Road) in 1958. In 1968 the Police Station was closed and reverted to the status of a police office and the staff were transferred to Teddington and Sunbury. In more recent years the top storey of the police garage was used to house a collection of historic police vehicles and other police memorabilia. These were transferred to Hendon in 2014 leaving the site empty and to await its subsequent fate.”
From: London: North (1998), by Bridget Cherry, Nikolaus Pevsner:
“The Metropolitan Police Authority had been set up by an Act of 1829, covering an area extending over a four-to-seven-mile radius of Charing Cross. Its stations built by the first surveyor, Charles Reeves, appointed 1842, were small and unostentatious, of brick with stone quoins. A more ambitious example (which survives as a Traffic Wardens’ Centre) (until 2003), in firm and stately Italianate, is the former divisional headquarters in King’s Cross Road (Finsbury), by T.C. Sorby, of 1869-70. An alternative, more domestic manner was adopted for Norman Shaw‘s station at Kentish Town (1894), establishing a precedent for the most characteristic type which can be recognised all over London. These date from the surveyorship of John Dixon Butler (1895-1920), when an extensive building programme provided London with stations in a severe yet quite domestic style, red brick with spare classical trimmings, distinguished by Butler’s trademark of elongated stone consoles to doors or windows. Hampstead and Highbury Vale are good examples among many. Butler was also responsible for several larger court houses where his originality in the bold use of Free Classical elements could be given more play. Notable examples (both 1906) are in *Old Street, Shoreditch, and the Clerkenwell Courts in King’s Cross Road.”
*”a Mannerist building with a Baroque centrepiece.” (Oxford Reference website).