“Kew Bridge crosses the River Thames between Kew Green in Kew on the south bank and Brentford on the north bank. It is immediately adjacent to the Royal Botanic Gardens on the Kew side of the river and the former Grand Junction Waterworks Company buildings (now the London Museum of Water & Steam) on the north.
The bridge forms a primary route destination joining the South Circular and North Circular roads to the west of London.
The Kew Bridge Act of 1898 paved the way for this, the third bridge in the location. It was commissioned jointly by the Middlesex and Surrey County Councils at a cost of £250,000. The engineers were Barry and Brereton and the building contractors were Easton Gibbs and Son. The third bridge is 1,182 feet (360 m) long, and the largest of its three arches has a span of 133 feet (41 m). The roadway is 56 feet (17 m) wide (compared to 18 feet (5.5 m) on the second bridge), and the pavements 9 feet 6 inches (2.90 m) compared to 3 feet 3 inches (0.99 m). It was built of granite from Cornwall.
The third bridge was completed for an official opening as King Edward VII Bridge on 20 May 1903 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, who processed through Kensington, Hammersmith, Chiswick and Brentford on the way to the ceremony, returning via Mortlake and Barnes and re-crossing the Thames at Putney Bridge. After the departure of the royals a huge party took place on the lawns at Kew Gardens and 1,000 children were entertained to tea in a marquee on Kew Green, an event hosted by Cuthbert Brereton.
Kew Bridge station, on the Hounslow loop line, opened in 1850. In 1869 the London and South Western Railway Company built Kew Railway Bridge at Strand on the Green to provide a shorter route for their line to Richmond.”
From The History of Brentford website:
“The coats of arms of Middlesex and Surrey on the upstream parapet were damaged by shrapnel during WW2. Winter 2009: Janet McNamara was told by a neighbour that itʼs not shrapnel marks as officially reported but that a German fighter plane flew along the river firing a machine gun.”