“Before the fires of 1666 and 1677, 4 King’s Bench Walk, with what is now 5 and 6 King’s Bench Walk was known as King’s Bench Buildings. 4 King’s Bench Walk is located opposite the Inner Temple Library. Like the other buildings on the row, it was rebuilt in 1678 following the London fire of 1677. The building bears an inscription that documents these events;
“Conflagratam Ano 1677. Fabricatam Ano 1678. Richardo Powell Armiger Thesaura”
The inscription can be seen on four separate tiles divided by doric triglyphs placed above the arched doorway to number four which also mentions Richard Powell being treasurer of the Inner Temple when 4 King’s Bench Walk was rebuilt in 1678.”
From: Rooms of their Own (2018) by Nino Strachey:
In 1930, “Harold (Nicolson) resigned from the Foreign Office, and returned to England to take up the role of London Diarist at the Evening Standard…His brother, Freddy, came to the rescue: as a barrister, he was entitled to use first floor chambers in the Temple at 4, King’s Bench Walk. No longer needing them, he allowed Harold to register under his name.
…Behind the soft red brick exteriors lay attractively panelled interiors; each set had a spacious sitting room, two bedrooms and a tiny kitchen…on payment of a small fee he gained the right to “eat in the hall, use the library, have food sent in from the kitchen and pray in the chapel”…
…The panelling was painted in old ivory; a faded Persian carpet found for the floor, a Queen Anne walnut bureau placed between the windows, a long oak table against the wall, with straight-backed cane-seated side chairs and comfortable armchairs…
From 1932 onwards, Harold shared King’s Bench Walk with a series of young lodgers, many of whom were friends of his sons Ben and Nigel…Christopher Hobhouse was the first to move in, followed in 1934 by James Lees-Milne. Both were friends of the irrepressible James Pope-Hennessy; handsome and troubled, James toyed with both Nigel and Harold’s affections. A set of photographs from autumn 1936 show James and Christopher at Sissinghurst, with Nigel sitting somewhat uneasily between.”