St Martin-in-the-Fields was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It took its name from the church of St Martin-in-the-Fields. In 1855 the parish vestry became a local authority within the area of responsibility of the Metropolitan Board of Works. In 1889 the parish became part of the County of London and in 1900 it became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster. The St Martin in the Fields Vestry was replaced by Westminster City Council. The civil parish was abolished in 1922.
From Historic England entry:
“CITY OF WESTMINSTER ST. MARTIN’S LANE, WC2 No. 5 (St. Martin’s Vestry Hall.) (Formerly listed under St Martin’s G.V. II* Place) Vestry Hall. c.1827-30 probably to a design by *Nash. Stucco, slate roof. Pedimented neo-classical composition, part of Nash’s isolation of St. Martin’s and the Strand Improvements. 3 storeys and basement. Broad 3-window wide front. Channelled ground floor with later C.19, stone, Doric coupled-column porch to right. Ground floor has recessed tripartite glazing bar sashes with panelled dividers, in architraves; similar to 1st floor in segmental arched recesses with panelled lunettes. 2nd floor glazing bar sashes in architraves. Pseudo-pedestal to 1st floor with blind balustrading below sills; main entablature as base to full width pediment with sculptured bas relief in tympanum by W. Pitts. Cast iron spear-and-mace head area railings. In the vestibule bust of Richard Miller by Rysbrack, 1727. Part of St. Martin’s Parochial Buildings, a typically varied Nash composition.”