From Unseen London (2014), by Mark Daly:
“In 1882 the School moved to the new building designed by Davis and Emanuel. Pevsner described the façade of the magnificent hall as ‘amazingly unscholastic, rather like a permanent Exhibition Palace.’ To clear a site for the school, the City of London Gasworks was demolished, and the building stands where the old retort house and gasometers once did.”
From: The Life of Kingsley Amis (2006), by Zachary Leader:
“This building stands on the north bank of the Thames, just west of Blackfriars Bridge…It is now the headquarters of the J.P. Morgan Bank, the present school having moved in 1984 to new premises on the Embankment, to the east of Blackfriars Bridge…it was purpose-built…chosen in a competition from among fifty-three designs.”
From 1904 Obituary: Institution of Civil Engineers:
“BARROW EMANUEL, M.A. (Dublin), died at his residence, 147 Harley Street, W., on the 14th February, 1904, aged 62.
Born at Portsmouth on the 4th February, 1842, he served a pupilage to Mr. H. Wood, Superintending Civil Engineer of Portsmouth Dockyard, and was subsequently articled to George Rennie and Sons, of Holland Street, Blackfriars.
In 1867 he became a member of the firm of Davis and Emanuel, in which he was senior partner at the date of his death.
During that period of thirty-seven years the firm carried out works at Southsea Pier and in connection with the Portsmouth Street Tramways, and were the architects of the City of London School, the London Hospital Convalescent Home at Felixstowe, the Yarrow Convalescent Home at Broadstairs, and Salisbury House, as well as of many other buildings in the City and in the West End.
From Oxford Dictionary of National Biography:
“Davis, Henry David (1839–1915), architect, was born on 1 June 1839 at 121 High Holborn, London, the son of Abraham Davis, and his wife, Emma Moses. Nothing is known about his education or early life, but he became an architect, and was married on 23 October 1879…”
From the digital publishing platform Issuu:
J.P. Morgan needed to reposition 60 Victoria Embankment as the new EMEA headquarters for its Asset Management team.
….The project included the creation of a public plaza space at the south end of John Carpenter Street which incorporates…a newly-installed bronze sculpture from J.P. Morgan’s New York office by American artist J Seward Johnson Jr (April 16, 1930 – March 10, 2020)
The resounding success was the external cleaning of the Old School Building and the lighting effect which creates a splendorous backdrop to the river Thames flowing in front of it at night.”
From: Chapter XV – July, One Summer – America 1927 (2013), by Bill Bryson:
“Thanks to his personable manner and natural authority, (Benjamin Strong) climbed steadily through the ranks, but his ascent was considerably accelerated after 1898 when he moved with his wife and young family to Englewood, New Jersey, and became friends with several rising stars at J.P. Morgan & Co., notably Henry Davison, Thomas Lamont and (later) Dwight Morrow. With the benefit of his new contacts, Strong became a director of the Bankers’ Trust Company, then president, and finally was made head of the New York Federal Reserve Bank at the time of its founding in 1913.”