From Historic England entry:
“The catenary lamp standards on the Victoria Embankment are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * special historic interest…* special artistic interest for their uniqueness, quality and the importance of their design which includes colourful civic heraldry, an exuberant expression of the Art-Nouveau style, and dolphins which relate directly to the lamps along the Embankment wall…”
“…By 1894 the LCC had adopted a device consisting of “an armed female figure between the armorial bearings of the Cities of London and Westminster”. The question of an official coat of arms for the county council was first raised at a meeting of the council in 1897…
…No further action appears to have been taken until February 1911, when the committee recommended that a coat of arms be obtained at a cost not exceeding £100. The recommendation was rejected by the council, with one member stating that the letters “L.C.C.” would be good enough for the council. Another councillor sarcastically suggested the arms of the council should include, among other things, a wrecked ship, the shut gates of the work department and a tombstone to the memory of municipal enterprise with the motto “ad quod damnum”…
…The London County Council was granted a coat of arms in 1914 and a heraldic badge in 1956. The coat of arms can still be seen on buildings constructed by the council before its abolition in 1965.
The final design for the arms, “simple in character and in every way suggestive of the corporate life of London”, was agreed by the council on 26 May 1914. The arms were blazoned as:
Barry wavy of six azure and argent, on a Chief of the last the cross of St George charged with a lion of England, the shield ensigned with a Mural Crown gold.
The blue and silver waves represented the River Thames and the Port of London. The English lion on a St George’s cross was to show that London was the “Royal centre of England”, encompassing the nation’s capital city. The gold mural crown indicated that the arms were those of a municipal body.
As the arms included part of the royal arms (the English lion) a royal warrant was issued granting the arms on 29 July 1914. The arms were registered at the College of Arms by letters patent dated 20 October 1914.
In 1953 the county council adopted a new representation of the arms, still conforming to the 1914 blazon.”