From Historic England entry for former John Roan Girls’ School, Devonshire Drive, Greenwich:
“Former school. Built to the designs of Thomas Dinwiddy in 1877-8 in Gothic style with additions to the east of 1906-7 designed by Alfred Roberts and on the west of 1936-7 by Percy B Darnatt. There have been John Roan schools in Greenwich since 1677 but this is the most elaborate of the 2 surviving old Roan schools, for boys and girls. They were amongst the earliest purpose built secondary schools in South East London and were built on the Prussian System.
“…a large hall from which all class rooms are approached, those on the first floor from an open gallery, a spacious library and governor’s board room combined with drawing class over having good north lighting a mistress’s room so placed as to command the playground and the entire traffic to and from all class rooms, a natural history class room, a waiting room, and cloakroom with lavatories conveniently placed at entrance, the latter with through route. The basement contains small dining hall, a cooking class kitchen, teachers room, caretakers rooms, latrines, cellars, and offices and finally a covered playground beneath the large hall.” ”
From website of Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham:
“Laurie Grove Baths, Laurie Grove, New Cross SE14 (Grade II):
These swimming baths, slipper baths and laundries were designed in 1895-98 by Thomas Dinwiddy, a local architect and commissioned by the Vestry Board of St Paul’s Deptford (the precursor to the Borough of Deptford) under the Public Baths and Wash-houses Act 1846. The building is of Jacobean style with separate entrances for men and women. Many original internal features survive and the building has been converted to art studios for Goldsmiths College.
At the rear of the building was a laundry for washing and drying the bath-towels. The Deptford Official Borough guide of 1910 announced that “a large laundry containing accommodation for 35 washers, of whom there nearly 10,000 in a single year.” Laurie Grove was designed to be at the centre of all the other “wash houses” in S.E London including Clyde Street, Forest Hill, Bellingham and Downham. The cost of using the laundry in 1936 was one and a halfpennies per-hour inclusive.”
From: London Metropolitan Archives Collections Catalogue:
“Grove Park Hospital, Marvels Lane, Lewisham:
The Board of Guardians of Greenwich Union Workhouse applied for permission to expand the site towards the end of the 1890s but this was refused by the Local Government Board of Greenwich. Spicers Meadow was therefore bought in 1896 for five thousand and fifty pounds and plans were drawn up for Grove Park Workhouse to act as an overspill for the Greenwich Union Workhouse. Thomas Dinwiddy was the architect, his plans were approved in 1897 (the plans were presented at the Paris International Exhibition in 1900 and won a Diploma of Merit). The foundation stone was laid in 1899…
…Unfortunately, the buildings were not ‘listed’ by Greenwich or Lewisham authorities so that when the buildings were sold to a private contractor in 1992 much of the original construction was demolished. Only the frontage and main administration building remain (the road around the main administration building was named Thomas Dinwiddy Road, after the architect). The hospital site has now been redeveloped as a residential area.”