From Historic England entry:
“1. 5028 BRIDGE STREET
Milestone Obelisk to the east end of Richmond Bridge TQ 1774 NE 20A/75
2. Late C18. Obelisk commemorating erection of Richmond Bridge. West face inscription: “The First Stone of this Bridge was laid 23 August 1774 and Finished December 1777″. Inscriptions on other faces giving distances to London Bridge, Windsor, etc.”
“…tolls were charged until 1859. Because the river meanders from its general west to east direction, flowing from southeast to northwest in this part of London, what would otherwise be known as the north and south banks are often referred to as the “Middlesex” (Twickenham) and “Surrey” (Richmond) banks respectively, named after the historic counties to which each side once belonged.”
Re Colnbrook (see image): from Wikipedia:
“Colnbrook is a village (which) lies within the historic boundaries of Buckinghamshire, and straddles two distributaries of the Colne, the Colne Brook and Wraysbury River.
Mentioned in William the Conqueror’s Domesday Book, Colnbrook is on a tributary of the River Colne, hence Colnbrook. Coaching inns were the village’s main industry. In 1106 the first one was founded by Milo Crispin, named the Hospice (subsequently the ‘Ostrich’, probably by way of corruption of the original name), the third oldest in England. By 1577 Colnbrook had no fewer than ten coaching inns. Colnbrook’s High Street was on the main London to Bath road and turn off point for Windsor and was used as a resting point for travellers.”