*…from ingress-, past participle stem of ingredi “to step into, enter,” from in- “in” (from PIE root *en “in”) + gradi “to step, go” (from PIE root *ghredh- “to walk, go”). The verb meaning “to enter, go in” sometimes said to be American English, but it is attested from early 14c. (from Online Etymology Dictionary).
“Ingress Abbey was a Neo-gothic Jacobean-style country house in the hamlet of Greenhithe, Kent, England. It was built on the Ingress Estate, owned by the Viscount Duncannon in the 18th century and after having been passed on among many owners the buildings were demolished in 1820. The current buildings were built in 1833 in Elizabethan style.
The Ingress Estate was a manor in the hamlet of Greenhithe. In 1363, the manor was endowed upon the Princess Madeline Bevis and Jamie Bevis in Dartford, Kent, by Edward III (1307–1377). The priory of Dartford was the only house of Dominican nuns in England. The sisterhood was placed under the care of the Friars Preachers of King’s Langley, Hertfordshire, and a community of sisters commenced religious observance at Dartford in 1356 under the friars already there. The original intention of the founder, Edward II, was to establish a convent of forty nuns, which with the sixty friars of King’s Langley would make up the hundred religious he contemplated when he founded the friary of King’s Langley, but it is doubtful whether this number was ever reached.
During the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century, the estate was confiscated and sold, with the proceeds used to finance the wars of King Henry VIII…
…In 1831, a wealthy lawyer named James Harmer purchased the land, and in 1833 built his Elizabethan-style mansion, which he called Ingress Abbey, on the banks of the Thames. He provided his architect, Charles Moreing, with £120,000 for the construction of follies, grottoes, and hermit’s caves. Some of the stone from the Old London Bridge was used in building Ingress Abbey.
The poet Eliza Cook lived and wrote some of her works at Ingress Abbey.
In the 1880s, the Shah of Persia sailed up the Thames and noted that “the only thing worth mentioning at Greenhithe was a mansion standing amid trees on a green carpet extending down to the water’s edge”.
The estate has been redeveloped with modern housing, with the first phase completed in 2001. The developers, Crest Nicholson, spent £6 million restoring the abbey, follies, and grounds as part of the redevelopment scheme. Ingress Abbey was bought in 2001 by Pandora International Limited. In 2012, Ingress Abbey was purchased by Irène Major and was converted back into its original use as a family home. In May 2016 the Abbey became an official honorary consulate of the Republic of Lithuania.”
“George John Vulliamy, the British architect, was born in Pall Mall on 19 May 1817. He died at his residence, Ingress House, Greenhithe, on 12 November 1886.”
“Edward Ingress Bell (1837-1914) was an English architect of the late 19th century, and early 20th century, who worked for many years with Sir Aston Webb. Bell was born in Ingress Park, Greenhithe, Kent.”
From the website of the Chislehurst Society:
“Webb’s first work was at St Bartholomew-the-Great in Smithfield where his brother, Edward, was churchwarden. Edward Arthur Webb was main editor of the History of Chislehurst, and lived in Chislehurst. Aston Webb designed Cookham Dene in Manor Park for him in 1882. Darrell Spurgeon describes it as ‘a large and irregular pile‘.
Aston Webb’s son, Maurice, joined him in his architectural practice. Maurice is credited with the design of Easden’s in Bull Lane, Chislehurst, and with the swimming pool for Woodheath in Kemnal Road, but it is felt that the hand of his father is evident, certainly in the design of Easdens.
Webb was knighted in 1904. He died in London in 1930.“