Image: the Cutty Sark tea clipper in permanent dry-dock at Greenwich. The need for pre-sea training for potential officers in the Royal and Merchant Navies led a group of London shipowners to found the (Incorporated) Thames Nautical Training College in 1862. The Cutty Sark was given to the College in 1938, and was used as a ‘boating station’, berthed outside Ingress Abbey. In the war years, the College was evacuated to nearby Foots Cray Place. The College closed in 1968, and with the approval of the original donor, Mrs Dowman, the Cutty Sark was given to the nation through the National Maritime Museum for restoration.
From the website Dover Kent Archives:
“5 Knockhill Road, Greenhithe
The name comes from the Ingress Estate across London Road. Ingryce Manor was granted by Edward II in 1353 ‘to the Priory and Abbey of Dartford for ever’. Henry VIII put a stop to that. This Victorian building, with brick ovens in the cellar, replaced an earlier inn set back from the road in a cherry orchard. Trading by 1865, the Ingress was a Kidd’s house by 1874. The brewery leased at first, from owner Geoffrey Thomas Austin; they paid £700 for the freehold in 1886, by which time it was a fully licensed Public House. The property was subject to a life annuity of £12 to Caroline Hanna Brown, presumably descended from a former owner. From 1915 long-serving landlord A Ludlow was paying £35 rent per year, plus £1 as half the cost of emptying cess-pool. In 1931 his rent soared to £55.”
From the website Dover Kent Archives:
“West Kent Guardian 29 August 1846.
GRAVESEND AND MILTON. INGRESS TAVERN.
On Saturday last, Mr. Stephens, builder, opened his new establishment, “Ingress Tavern,” Milton-road. The opening was marked in a generous and signal manner. Mr. Stephens provided a substantial dinner on the occasion, to which he invited all his workmen, the number of whom exceeded a hundred. The invitation included all the men in his employ, without exception. Carpenters, bricklayers, and labourers resigned for one day the hammer, the trowel and shovel, and all right heartily, in one company, with the same implements, knives and forks, engaged in one common undertaking – the reducing to a skeleton the carcass of a fine sheep, which had been roasted whole for the occasion, and disposal of various other lesser articles of good cheer. The business commenced at the appointed time, and was performed in an expeditious, efficient, and workmanlike manner. After dinner many loyal and popular toasts were given, and the health of Milton’s acknowledged benefactor, James Harmer, Esq., was drank with great cordiality and kindheartedness. The evening was spent in a rational, cheerful, animated way. Some of the workmen in each department of service, whether useful or ornamental, were not backward to speak of their skill and exploits, and the dexterity of a right hand not likely to forget its cunning, even in advancing years and declining strength. Good fellowship and great harmony pervaded the entire company. The men, rather the guests, all returned to their humble dwellings before eleven o’clock, sober and orderly; each and all gratified by, and grateful for, the opportunity which had been so kindly afforded them of “taking their mutton” at the plentiful and welcome board of their hospitable host and worthy master.
From The Era 9 September 1849.
“Ingress Tavern,” Milton-road.
Henry Stephens again applied for the license. The house is a large one, and was erected for an inn, and it stands in a neighbourhood which has been to a considerable extent built by the applicant.
STEPHENS Henry 1849
STARBUCK John Alexander 1855+”
“The Ingress Tavern (Hotel) was situated at 1-2 Stonebridge Road. This pub opened in 1868 and closed in 1998. One of the rooms was at one time headquarters of National Amalgamated Stevedores, Lightermen, Watermen and Dockers union, set up in 1922.”