Image: University College Cork (Irish: Coláiste na hOllscoile Corcaigh).
Queen’s College, Cork, was founded by the provisions of an act which enabled Queen Victoria to endow new colleges for the “Advancement of Learning in Ireland”. Under the powers of this act, the three colleges of Belfast, Cork and Galway were incorporated on 30 December 1845. The college opened in 1849 with 23 professors and 181 students; Medicine, Arts, and Law were the three founding faculties. A year later the college became part of the Queen’s University of Ireland.
The Universities Act 1997 renamed the university as National University of Ireland, Cork, and a Ministerial Order of 1998 renamed the university as “University College Cork – National University of Ireland, Cork”.
“The Burlington Estate is an area in Mayfair to the north of Piccadilly in the West End of London, England. It was developed in the 18th century. The estate was owned by the Anglo-Irish Boyle dynasty, Earls of Burlington, in particular Richard, 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork (1694-1753).
Burlington House, which is situated on Piccadilly, was the main house on the estate. The House is now the home to the Royal Academy, the Geological Society of London, the Linnean Society of London, the Royal Astronomical Society, the Society of Antiquaries of London and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Streets developed in the estate include Cork Street, now a centre for art galleries, and Savile Row, renowned for traditional (especially bespoke) gentleman’s tailoring. The area has been known for its tailors since being developed. Beau Brummell (1778–1840), who introduced the flamboyant form of gentleman’s fashion in Regency London that became known as dandyism, patronised tailors in the area.”