From the Bloomsbury Project page of University College London:
“New Oxford Street
It is in the south-west of Bloomsbury, joining Oxford Street west of Bloomsbury to High Holborn.
It was completed by 1847.
Its route was crisscrossed by numerous tiny streets of the notorious Rookeries, many of which were demolished to make way for it.
It was named as a continuation of Oxford Street to its west.
Numbering originally ran continuously from Oxford Street, beginning at 441 on the south side and ending back at 550 on the north side, but the street was later renumbered as a separate entity.
It was built mainly to ease congestion in High Street and act as a continuation of Oxford Street’s shopping, rather than as a residential street.
“New Oxford Street quickly became a commercial success, attracting a wide range of shops, offices, banks and warehouses” (Camden History Society, Streets of Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia, 1997).
No. 510 (new numbers 30–34; original building demolished) became the new home of Mudie’s Select circulating library in 1852 (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
No. 492 (old number) was from 1853 to 1857 the business premises of vegetarianism advocate William Horsell (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
No. 91 (new number; building demolished and site now occupied by Castlewood House) was the business premises of John S. Deeds & Sons, curriers and manufacturers of leather goods, from at least 1860.
No. 467 (new number 53) opened as a branch of James Smith & Sons (selling sticks and umbrellas) in 1865 on the site of a former Commonwealth Dairy (see image).
No. 78 (new number; building demolished) was the business premises from 1867 of Thomas Holloway, purveyor of pills and founder of Royal Holloway College (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
Nos 80–88 (new numbers; original building demolished) were the business premises of Henry Glave, linen draper, in the 1880s.
Nos 71–75 (new numbers) were the Catherwood-designed offices of soap j A. & F. Pears from 1887.
No. 103 (new number; site now demolished for traffic) was in 1900 the site of “the sole maker and supplier of the Burton Gillette Horse Clipping and Sheep Shearing Equipment” (Camden History Society, Streets of Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia, 1997).
Nos 114–116 (new numbers) housed the musical instrument factory of Imhofs by 1904.
It remained a shopping street, albeit a rather less eccentric one than it had been in the nineteenth century; it also developed a cafe culture.”
Wikipedia: “”The Umbrella Man” (often popularly referred to as Any Umbrellas?) is a British song written by James Cavanaugh, Larry Stock and Vincent Rose. It was first published in 1924 and first performed live by the comedy double act Flanagan and Allen in 1939 in the musical revue These Foolish Things. It became one of their standards along with “Hometown” and “Underneath the Arches”. It is used in Dennis Potter’s The Singing Detective (1986) and the TV adaptation of *John le Carré’s A Perfect Spy (1987).”
*pen name of David John Moore Cornwell (19 October 1931 – 12 December 2020).