*inscription on base of fountain.
From the City of London’s Finsbury Circus Draft Character Summary and Management Strategy SPD – July 2015:
“…The gardens within Finsbury Circus were maintained as an open space by a committee of leaseholders who contributed to their upkeep. However, as the area became more commercial, the City sought to obtain the land and open it to the public. This was secured through an Act of Parliament in 1900. A pink granite drinking fountain (see image) was constructed in 1902 with a shelter inspired by the well head designed by Philip Webb for the Red House in Bexleyheath, the home of William Morris. The Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association erected another drinking fountain made from Peterhead granite with brass spouts in the gardens next to the bandstand close to the west entrance. The gardens were re-landscaped in 1909 retaining the serpentine paths and plane trees established in the early nineteenth century. In 1925, a bowling green was added in the centre of the garden and extended in 1968. The pavilion which serves this was built in 1966 replacing earlier twentieth century garden structures on this site and adapted for wine bar use in 1985.”