From Survey of London: Volume 23, Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1951:
“…One of the earliest buildings in Waterloo Road was the Royal Universal Infirmary for Children. This institution was the successor of the Universal Dispensary for Sick and Indigent Children founded in 1816 by Dr. J. Bunnell Davis in premises in St. Andrew’s Hill, Doctors’ Commons. A four-storey building, two storeys being below the level of the road, was erected in 1823 at the north-east corner of Waterloo Road and Stamford Street, and was opened as a dispensary in the following year. The design was made gratuitously by David Laing, architect of the Customs House. Although the institution enjoyed the patronage of various royal personages and of the Lord Mayor of London, it was perpetually short of funds, and, until 1851, treatment was given only to out-patients, part of the building being let as a school. The present hospital has five storeys and basement.
It is of red brick with brown terra-cotta dressings and has a corner turret over the glazed-ware porch which bears the Royal Arms. On the Waterloo Road elevation an arcaded balcony serves each of the first, second and third floor wards. The nurses’ home adjoining is also of red brick with brown terracotta dressings. It has six storeys above the basement. The firm of Messrs. Waring and Nicholson designed the hospital and the nurses’ home and also prepared the scheme of conversion after the recent war for the nurses’ home annexe in York Road opposite the York Hotel. The present hospital was planned with the ground floor for administration purposes and the first, second and third floors as wards giving accommodation for two hundred beds. The entrance porch of glazed ware was the gift in 1905 of H. Lewis Doulton.”