From Historic England entry:
“1. 5028 GEORGE STREET (south-east side)
Greyhound House (Formerly listed as TQ 1774 NE 20A/66 10.1.50 Nos 23 and 24 The Greyhound Hotel) II
2. C18. Three storeys and mansard. Six windows wide with 3 windows wide advanced wing to left. Stucco. Modern railings above eaves cornice. Carriageway to left of principal front.”
From Richmond upon Thames page, Facebook:
23 & 24 George Street, Richmond, Surrey. Established in 1685 a posting inn in the middle of George Street. Rebuilt and renamed about 1725 it had previously been the White Horse. It was the main Inn in Richmond town centre until overtaken by The Castle in Hill Street, it remained a hotel until 1923. It still has an access through the old coach entrance, but shops have replaced both its main door and tap room. It was also the site of SHORTS bar.”
From the website of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames:
“…the Richmond Ratepayers’ Association held an open meeting at the Greyhound Hotel, George Street on 5th March (1879) at which there was a large attendance and resolutions to use the product of a penny rate to fund a library were unanimously passed. The result of the poll was given at the Vestry meeting on 18th March – 1140 voted for the adoption of the Public Library Acts while 618 were against...”
From the website of the Joint Information Systems Committee:
“The Richmond Athenaeum was formed in 1881 for the study, consideration and discussion of scientific matters, religion, political issues, and economy, art and social life. Mr. Edward King, first editor and owner of the Richmond and Twickenham Times, was its first president and who organised the first meeting which was held in the Masonic Hall of the Greyhound Hotel on Tuesday 1st November.
The idea of creating a high class debating club was agreed by some residents of Richmond, and it was decided that members should have intellectual merit and respectable behaviour. The original scheme was the reading of a lecture on a subject by a famous person in the field of that topic and often accompanied with a magic lantern, an early type of image projector, followed by a debate. However, the debate aspect soon diminished. During the spring and summer, the Athenaeum carried out excursions to interesting places, many of them belonging to The National Trust.
However, due to internal problems, this activity was only done during the first and the last years. As well as these activities, the organisation had weekly and annual meetings in order to discuss different issues, accept new members or organise events. Although the society kept its routine during the First World War, it was impossible with the Second Wold War. It ceased its activities at the beginning of the war, and the society was wound up on 9th of May of 1951 by the last members and the solicitor Calvert Smith who organised the last meeting and took charge of carrying out the last agreements made during this meeting.”
From the website of moorebarlow.com:
“(Moore Blatch and Barlow Robbins merged May 2020)
Moore Blatch has acquired Richmond law firm Calvert Smith & Sutcliffe, Onslow House, 9 The Green, Richmond, Surrey.
Established in 1917, Calvert Smith & Sutcliffe employs 25 people who will continue to operate from their office at 9 The Green in Richmond, trading as Moore Blatch incorporating Calvert, Smith & Sutcliffe.
Moore Blatch has an office at 2 The Green in Richmond.”