“Edwin Henry Horne was an English architect working in the Victorian era and best known for the six spacious new station buildings opened by the North London Railway between 1870 and 1872 to reflect the growing importance of the line.”By E.H.Horne they were designed in a distinctive Venetian Gothic style not repeated elsewhere on the railways in England.” His Camden Road Station, listed by Historic England, is one of the few suburban stations of the period to survive in London. A petition to Parliament to rebuild the 1872 facade of his Highbury & Islington station was lodged in 2015. In a career cut short at the age of 37, Horne’s last major work was the heritage listed church, St John’s Ealing. He was elected an associate member of the Royal Institute of British Architects on 15 November 1875. Forced by ill-health to move to France in 1880, he died on 26 August 1915 in Church Place, Dover and is buried in St Mary’s Cemetery, Dover
Highbury and Islington Station (1872)
The last and largest of Horne’s stations was the Italianate Highbury and Islington, which was completed in 1872 and consisted of three wings. His designs for the station were exhibited at the Royal Academy in the summer exhibition of 1873. On 19 April that year The Illustrated London News carried a detailed description, naming Horne as architect. The station was first damaged during the Blitz in 1940, when the mansard roof and the upper storey were lost and again in 1944, when a flying bomb hit Highbury Corner, killing 26 people and causing devastating damage to the station & surrounding buildings. Although temporary repairs were carried out in the post-war years, Highbury & Islington was never restored to its full former use as a passenger station.
Camden Road Station
Opened in December 1870, Camden Town Station was built in Venetian Gothic style, in yellow Suffolk brick and Portland stone with terracotta dressings. The vast interior was enclosed by a mansard roof with iron cresting. The station was renamed Camden Road in 1950 to avoid confusion with the underground station. Heritage-listed as a Grade II building by Historic England, it is the last of Horne’s stations still in use for its original purpose. The recently restored Hackney Station is now a music venue.
The substantial station at Bow was opened on 26 March 1870. The elegant facade featured simple round arches. At road level was a booking hall, waiting and refreshment rooms and on the upper floor was a spacious concert hall designed to seat 1,000 persons. On 2 September 1870 The Engineer published detailed illustrations of Bow station, naming Horne and including sectional drawings of the building as well as the frontage, concluding that “the building, is, in our opinion, as good an example of what a railway station should be as any we have ever seen”.”.