Above: Daniel when he was licensee of the John Bull, 2 Bath street, Poplar E14, seen with second wife and their children Dan and Anastasia. The mother of Kathleen, also pictured, died of tuberculosis. Joseph was born in 1923.
(1921/Daniel Hickey/../../../Post Office Directory)
Daniel was the only one of perhaps twelve siblings whose life was not shortened by tuberculosis. On medical advice, his mother sent him to Ireland for an extended period, which he passed in long cycling excursions.
Local memory suggests that Daniel Hickey managed the off sales department, which sustained some war damage, for The Green Man. He and his family were rehoused at 5a, St. John’s Park after being “bombed out”.
Adjacent to the Royal Standard pub, Blackheath, is a local shopping centre called Stratheden Parade. Some shops were destroyed in a V-1 flying bomb incident on 21 June 1944. Following rebuilding, Daniel Hickey opened Hickey’s Off-Licence on the parade. In the early 1950s, his son Joseph (who managed the shop), Joe’s wife Evelyn, and their eldest children, Timothy and Simon, lived in the top flat above the shop.
Daniel Hickey died at 5a, St. John’s Park, on 31st December, 1958.
From: Old and New London: Volume 6. Originally published by Cassell, Petter & Galpin, London, 1878:
“…The village, or—as it is beginning to call itself—town of Blackheath, is built chiefly about Tranquil Vale; it has its churches and chapels, assembly-rooms, railway station, skating rink, banks, besides several good shops. At the end of the heath, near Blackheath Hill, is another collection of shops and dwellings, with a church and schools; here, too, is the principal inn, the “Green Man,” well known to holiday-makers.”
“The Green Man was a public house on Blackheath Hill (now the A2), in Blackheath, London. It was an important stop for coach traffic owing to its position and was used as the headquarters of the Royal Blackheath Golf Club. It hosted “free-and-easy” music hall evenings in the 19th century and jazz and pop music in the 20th. It was a significant local landmark for over 300 years before its demolition in 1970.
The pub had existed since at least 1629. It was reportedly named after Herne the Hunter who is believed to have had a group of worshippers in a cavern below the premises. It became an important stop for coach traffic owing to its position at the top of Blackheath Hill and on the edge of the heath. It was subsequently used as the headquarters of Royal Blackheath Golf Club, the oldest golf course in the world.
The first recorded occasion of a toast to the “Immortal Memory” of Horatio Nelson was on Trafalgar Day (21 October), 1811 at the pub.
During the 19th century, the pub took customers from the Chocolate House on Shooters Hill Road which had been a prominent local establishment during the eighteenth century. The Chocolate House subsequently closed.
Madame Tussaud took her wax works show there on several occasions over three decades, the final one in late 1833 which was the last before finding a permanent home in London.
The Inn was also used as a postal collection point.
Between 1850 and 1902 it held “free-and-easy” music hall evenings.
In 1854, the bowling green to the rear of the pub was developed into properties, which now makes up part of Dartmouth Terrace. In 1868, the inn was demolished and rebuilt in a grand Victorian style. It housed a large function room that was used as a meeting place for various groups.
During the early 1960s, the pub hosted the Jazzhouse Club, a popular jazz music venue run by Colin Richardson, who later managed the New Jazz Orchestra and Colosseum. Guests included Graham Bond, Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Scott, Manfred Mann, Ian Carr and Jon Hiseman. Paul Simon played an early solo concert at the club as a last-minute replacement for Judy Collins. A sixteen-year-old David Bowie (then billed as David Jones) was the saxophonist with the Konrads, his first professional band, which was booked to play at the pub in 1963. Lead singer Roger Ferris cut himself on broken glass in the changing room and had to be hospitalised, so Bowie took over as lead singer for this and subsequent gigs.
In 1970, the pub was demolished and replaced by Allison Close, a block of flats.”
From the website Dover Kent Archives:
WHITMARSH Thomas 1832-34+…
DE WINTON DONNING John Eden & HICKEY Daniel 1938+
ROSE Archie 1944+”