From the website of Wandsworth Council on 25.9.19:
“The Brewery Tap closed back in 2006 and has been empty ever since. The new pub will be run by Lee and Keris De Villiers, who also run the Pig and Whistle and Old Sergeant in Garratt Lane. The old Ram Inn name dates back to 1581.
The pub used to be part of the old Youngs Brewery site and is a grade II listed building. The new pub has retained its original features and will be opening with its very own brewery on site called SlyBeast Brewing. The downstairs will have a ‘proper pub’ feel and upstairs will feature a taco truck, floor shuffleboard and a frozen margarita machine. Doors open on October 10 and the official launch party will be on November 1.
Local brewers Sambrook’s is also moving to the Ram Quarter from its present premises in Battersea. Together with SlyBeast it will continue the town’s 500-year brewing heritage, which remains unbroken because brewer John Hatch has continued to brew small batches at the site.
Wandsworth was the first local authority in the country to bring in measures to protect its most important pubs from redevelopment. The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) have said the council’s use of Article 4 Directions ‘gives out a very clear message’ to potential developers that turning pubs into shops or homes is unlikely to be permitted, and that the regeneration of the borough was likely to lead to more demand for pubs in the future, not less.
Wandsworth had a net gain of five pubs between 2017 and 2018, Mayor of London figures show, and the number of people employed in small neighbourhood pubs increased by 25.
Deputy council leader Cllr Jonathan Cook said “It’s great to see brewing return to Wandsworth and I look forward to the long-shuttered doors of the Brewery Tap reopening as the Ram Inn in the heart of Wandsworth Town Centre.
“This is good news for the Ram Quarter and for Wandsworth and is another sign that the wave of pub closures in London over the past few years is slowing or even reversing in Wandsworth. I look forward to enjoying a pint at the Ram.”
The creation of the Ram Quarter and the reopening of the landmark pub are key parts of the council’s regeneration of Wandsworth Town Centre. Construction is well advanced on 200 new homes, a better public library and a new green public space in the High Street and Garratt Lane.
The council is also working closely with Transport for London (TfL) to remove the Wandsworth one-way system. The timetable for the work has been set by TfL and construction is expected to start in April 2022.”
From Historic England entry:
“Public house, now also shop. 1883 with 1930s remodelling, for Young’s Ram Brewery, formerly known as the Ram Inn. Yellow brick with plaster details, and glazed terra cotta ground floor. 2-3 storeys. EXTERIOR: Curved wider bay to corner of Wandsworth High and Ram Street, with 4 window bays to each return at 2nd floor, additional 3-5 bays at 1st and ground floors with carriage entrance to north end at Ram Street and additional wide entrance to west end at Wandsworth High Street. Ground floor is 1930s glazed cream terra cotta; pilasters with flat ionic capitals defined each wide window bay; upper floors of 1883 build, the 1st floor windows within plastered architraves and under shallow scrolled pediments linked by continuous frieze, 2nd floor with shorter sashes also in plastered architraves and abutting corbelled eaves cornice. Corner bay with ‘THE RAM INN’ green lettering to frieze and flanked by glazed plaques with Ram detail under segmental arch and `Young & Co.’s Ales & Stout’ over `Public Bar’, entrance now blocked; slightly advanced upper storeys with pediment over 1st floor window; corbelled base of chimney to 2nd floor extending above shallow hipped roof. Entrances each to High Street and Ram Street flanked by similar terra cotta plaques. INTERIOR: Ground floor retains beamed plaster ceilings. 1st floor has good neo-Elizabethan room with wood-panelled walls and honeycomb pattern plaster ceiling with foliate decoration; wide stone chimneypiece. HISTORY: In 1831, Young & Bainbridge bought the Ram brewery from Tritton, who had owned the freehold for this site since the C19. The earlier pub on the site, the Ram, was replaced with this building after the major 1881 fire at the brewery damaged the earlier Ram Inn, believed to have dated from the late-C17. This was again damaged in WWII. The pub was called the Ram until being re-named the Brewery Tap in 1974.
Listed as a handsome corner pub of 1883 with an 1930s remodelling including historicist interiors and that has particular interest as the brewery tap for the Young’s brewery, as well as group value with the other listed components on the site.
Group value with the other listed components of the site: the Grade II* Brewery, Grade II former Brewer’s House and the Grade II stables; as well as the Grade II late-C19 `Spread Eagle’ public houses also across Wandsworth High Street.”