“Oldest surviving licensed premises in Kingston, which was once owned by Fricker’s Eagle Brewery, which used to be next door. The current building dates from 1862, when it was a coaching house. The large single bar was refurbished in 2015 with dark wood a feature. Pictures of rams adorn the walls. The large outside patio area backs onto the River Thames and is family and dog friendly. Wide ranging menu, including specials and vegetarian options, is available all day. The changing beers are mainly from other breweries, including local ones. 14 craft keg beers also sold. Quiz night Sunday.”
From: Archives in London and the M25 area:
“Other sources: The former site of Fricker’s Eagle Brewery Wharf is now a public open space along the riverside. The Ram pub, now owned by Metropolitan (Greene King), lies beside the wharf, and was the brewery’s tied house.
In the 19th century there lay alongside the brewery a timber yard that had provided oak for the Palace of Westminster, and a tannery which made use of the oak bark.
G.J. Palmer and Sons used Eagle Wharf, amongst others, to unload seacoal brought directly from the northern collieries, from the 1920s to the mid 1960’s.”