From the website of the Twickenham Museum:
“In 1848 the London and South Western Railway Company arrived in Twickenham. Using its powers of compulsory purchase it had acquired a stretch of land from the Cole family of brewers. This land stretched between the River Crane and Amyand Park Road from Winchester Road to London Road for the line. It also bought six cottages on the western side of London Road for an access road (now Railway Approach) to the station, originally situated on that side of the London Road.”
From: The Birth and Growth of Hampton Hill (1965), published by the Parochial Church Council of St James, Hampton:
“The Thames Valley Extension Line of the London & South Western Railway (L&SWR) opened on 1st November 1864 between Twickenham and Shepperton with intermediate stations at Fulwell, Hampton and Sunbury.
Initially there were seven steam hauled passenger trains via Twickenham each way every day. Equally important were the freight trains bringing coal, bricks and goods in, and moving the extensive quantities of local nursery produce up to Nine Elms for Covent Garden.
Hampton station had goods and coal yards.
The L&SWR had extensive discussions with local landowners about possible locations for the new station for New Hampton. Suitable sites were the plots adjacent to Burton’s Road, Edward Road and near Pantile Bridge but for some reason these were not chosen and the station was built at Fulwell and named Fulwell and Hampton Hill. The spur linking Strawberry Hill to Teddington opened on 1st July 1894 for freight trains only, passengers services to Teddington, Kingston and Waterloo via Wimbledon started on 1st June 1901.
By 1904 Hampton Goods Yard was handling furniture vans, cattle vans, and a wide range of freight. It had a 10 ton crane and three Coal Yards, one beside The Railway Bell.
By 1909, passenger train frequency had increased to 9 direct services to Waterloo and 13 to Twickenham. 15 through trains ran from Waterloo with 9 more starting from Barnes, Richmond or Twickenham.
There were 4 freight trains per day, the principal one being the 7.45pm Shepperton to Nine Elms which called at Hampton Goods Yard between 9.03 pm and 10.40pm to attach wagons of nursery produce, etc.
The lines were electrified during 1915 and faster electric services started in January 1916.”