*(Wikipedia): “The closest tube station is Sloane Square to the northeast. The street commemorates Luke Thomas Flood, a major Chelsea land owner and a benefactor of the poor.”
From the website of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea:
“Sir Thomas More, Lord Chancellor to Henry VIII and Catholic martyr, came to Chelsea in 1520 and built a house, later known as Beaufort House. In More’s day two courtyards were laid out between the house and the river and in the north of the site acres of gardens and orchards were planted. It was from here in 1535 that More was taken to the Tower and beheaded later that year. Beaufort House was demolished in 1740 and in 1766 Beaufort Street was built on part of the site.
The More chapel, built by him in 1528 for his private worship, was the only part of Chelsea Old Church to survive the 1941 bombing along with his tomb. His London home, Crosby Hall, was moved ‘brick by brick’ from Bishopsgate to Chelsea in 1908.
He was soon followed to Chelsea by other prominent men including the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Henry VIII, all of whom built splendid houses so that Chelsea became known as the ‘Village of Palaces’. Henry VIII’s manor house built in 1536, now the site of 19-26 Cheyne Walk, was a wedding present for Katherine Parr. It became home to Henry’s children and to the tragic Lady Jane Grey, the nine-day queen. The last royal resident was Anne of Cleves, Henry’s fourth wife, who died here in 1556. In 1712 it was bought by Sir Hans Sloane and demolished soon after his death.”
From: An Economic History of the English Garden (2019), by Roderick Floud:
“According to More, in his Utopia, published in 1516, the Utopians – citizens of his ideal society, which was modelled on London – were
very fond of these gardens of theirs. They raise vines, fruits, herbs and flowers, so thrifty and flourishing that I have never seen any gardens more productive or elegant than theirs. They keep interested in gardening, partly because they delight in it, and also because of the competition between different streets which challenge one another to produce the best gardens. Certainly you will find nothing else in the whole city more useful or more pleasant to the citizens. And for this reason, the city’s founder seems to have made gardens the primary object of his consideration.
The Thames of More’s time in early sixteenth-century London was bordered by gardens.”
From: Survey of London: Volume 2, Chelsea, Pt I. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1909:
“The ground landlord is the Earl Cadogan, the present leaseholder being S. P. Newcombe, Esq.
We now begin at the east end of Cheyne Walk. No. 1 is a modern house, but it contains a sufficiently large amount of early work, taken from the district and elsewhere, to justify its inclusion here. It was built in 1887–1888 on the site of an early 18th century house, from the designs of Mr. F. Hemmings. The house stands at the corner of Flood Street, originally called Pound Lane, then Robinson’s Row, and later Queen Street. The village pound used to stand opposite the end of the lane at the waterside.
The portions of old work incorporated in the house are from the following buildings:—No. 12 Cheyne Walk contributed the columns and carved entablature of the front doorway and some finely-carved mahogany doors and architraves, which have been used in the library and dining-room. A mahogany bookcase in the library on the ground floor stood formerly in the dining-room of No. 12.
Radnor House, which stood at the end of Paradise Row, at the corner of Flood Street, opposite to No. 1 Cheyne Walk, gave the beautiful chimney-piece, with a frieze of carved foliage and birds, placed in the front bedroom (second floor). No. 8 Cheyne Walk produced the balusters of the staircase, which have the same design as those of Nos. 2 and 3; and the charming Queen Anne panelling in the drawing-room came from an old house in Austin Friars. Leading out of the dining-room is a small ante-room, which seems to have been built to receive the panelling of one of the 18th century “powderrooms,” and preserves an early chimney-piece of pleasing design.
The house is in excellent repair.”