From: Survey of London: Volume 41, Brompton. Originally published by London County Council, London (1983):
“…the authorisation of the construction of the Metropolitan and Metropolitan District Railways by Acts of Parliament in 1864 led to the sale of some plots of land to the railway companies and the subsequent demolition of several houses.
Initially the building of the railways and their joint station at South Kensington affected the neighbouring Alexander estate more than the Smith’s Charity estate and in Pelham Street only a few houses at the western end had to be pulled down to make way for the station. In 1871, however, the remaining houses on the north side of the street to the west of the short stretch of roadway leading to Thurloe Square were demolished so that the station could be enlarged to accommodate separate District platforms. This was in part the result of a quarrel between the two companies which also led to the District acquiring the surviving terrace at Nos. 51–61 (odd) Pelham Street in order to construct its branch line to the station but, in the event, these houses did not have to be demolished…
…The construction of the deep-level Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (now the Piccadilly Line), which was begun in 1902, produced yet another extension to South Kensington Station on the frontage to Pelham Street. Opened in January 1907, this part of the station was designed by Leslie W . Green and has retained the original façade of ox-blood-red glazed faience which he used at several tube stations between 1903 and 1907…”