From: the Hidden London website:
“Hampton’s name is used both for the Thames-side locality west of Bushy Park and for the entire district that extends from Marling Park and Nurserylands in the west to Hampton Wick, three miles to their east.”
“On the corner of Marlborough Rd and Old Farm Rd is a group of detached houses built in the 1970s. They stand on the site of what was originally Newhouse Farm. Newhouse Farm was first mentioned in 1593 in a survey of John Newdigate’s estate. At that time it was the only building in the north-west area of Hampton, lying east of the track ridden by Wolsey and King Henry VIII on their way to Hanworth Palace – a track that is now Broad Lane and Oak Avenue. William Gresham owned the house in the 1620s, his widow surrendering it and 53 acres to Lord Cottingham, a supporter of the King in the Civil War.
The house, rented by Charles II in the 1665 plague but unused by him, is recorded in the Hearth Tax assessments of that time. Later called Chalk Farm it was bought by James Campbell of the Argyll family including 250 acres of narrow strip land that were to be ‘modernised’ by the 1811 Enclosure Act.
In 1863 the farm, by now Tangley Park, was advertised for sale by auction: the catalogue drew attention to ‘its eligibility for building, accommodation or market gardening purposes’.
A Mr Grover took it over in around 1866, selling in 1867 to Arthur Stanford who had grandiose ideas for development. He in turn sold in 1883 to the Estates Investment and Villa Farm Company. The quarter acre plots sold slowly, some becoming market gardens.
From the late 1880s onwards a number of market gardens or nurseries began to appear on what had been farmland in the area of Tangley Park, particularly between Buckingham Rd and the Hanworth border. This was an inevitable consequence of the growth of London and its need for fresh produce and the increase in building that pushed the boundaries of built-up London ever westward.
Many of the nurserymen were from Germany, Holland and Belgium.
In 1890 the Villa Farm Company was liquidated and the Marling family took over; the farmhouse became a private house, ‘The Old Farm’…”
From: the Hidden London website:
“The earliest recorded property hereabouts was Newhouse, later known as the Old Farm House, which was in existence by the late 16th century and survived (though probably in rebuilt form) for almost 400 years.
By the mid-19th century the farm was known as Tangley Park. Its owners built the ‘commodious’ Royal Hotel on their land in 1867 but the structure was never used for its intended purpose. Instead it became the Female Orphan Home when the institution moved here from Walthamstow in 1869.
Major WB Marling purchased the estate in 1890 – renaming it after himself – and an exceedingly slow process of suburban development got under way.
All Saints Hampton, by the prolific church architects FH Greenaway and JE Newberry, was consecrated in 1908 but not completed until later – and without its planned tower.
On Oak Avenue, at the corner of South Road, the Royal Oak (see image) was originally built as two houses in 1921 then converted into a pub in 1924.
Most of the present properties in Marling Park date from the 1930s and 1950s, with semi-detached houses fronting verdant avenues. The varying finishes subsequently applied to the external walls aggravate the architectural disharmony – but the abundance of mature trees makes up for a lot.
Old Farm House was demolished in the 1960s and the area to its north was developed from 1973 onwards as Hampton Nurserylands, which will be the subject of a separate page on Hidden London sooner or later.
Though it continues to appear on A–Z maps, the name Marling Park is largely unrecognised by local residents, who simply think of this locality as part of Hampton, or specifically Hampton Nurserylands on the north side.”