Image: (Historic England) “Hampton Pumping Station/Riverdale Pumphouse, Upper Sunbury Road, Hampton, Richmond Upon Thames, Greater London Authority.
The Riverdale Pumphouse, an engine house, was built between 1897-1901 by engineer James Restler and formed part of the Southwark and Vauxhall Waterworks, later renamed Hampton Pumping Station.”
“Piped water wasn’t laid on in Hampton Hill until 1901. Prior to that larger houses had their own wells while communal ones served the smaller cottages.
Three water companies moved to Hampton in the 1850s and the impressive water works were built. The Companies were the Southwark and Vauxhall, the Grand Junction and the West Middlesex. They were the first to take water from the non tidal stretch above Teddington Lock as it was purer than that in the lower reaches. They were also one of the first to have filter beds to purify their water and the health of the people using their water showed a marked improvement.
In the more closely built up area of London, water was piped along the streets to standpipes at several points so that water could be used communally by the nearest inhabitants. This meant much carrying of water, and restricted its use considerably; also as the mains were turned on for only three hours a day, and only three to six days a week, it meant that water had to be carried home and stored in all types of receptacles; not, especially in those days, the most hygienic way to live.”
From the website of the Twickenham Museum:
“Hampton in 1914
…The south west corner of Hampton was even then dominated by the Waterworks. Platt’s Ait (or Eyot) had the Electric Launch Works on the eastern end, built in 1889, and this later became Thornycrofts. Hampton Grammar School was then located in the Upper Sunbury Road and was prominent as were the Council Offices (for Hampton UDC) which then shared Rosehill with the Library as it had done since they moved there in 1902. The offices were given up in 1937 but the Library remains. Spring Grove was another large house in the same road from which much of the land had been sold off to form the Riverhill Estate (now *Plevna, Varna, Belgrade and Avenue Roads) in the late 1870s. The house itself was demolished in the early 1980s and the cul-de-sac, also called Spring Grove, built.
The central core of old Hampton around St Marys Church including the triangle of streets comprising Thames Street, Church Street and High Street together with Station Road was the most recognisable and is the least changed part of the whole area. The Station Road filter beds however had only been built in 1902 although they have since been replaced by the village green housing development built in 1997/98. Tram lines are marked on the map, past Garrick’s Villa and turning up Church Street into High Street in a northerly direction. In the opposite direction they follow Hampton Court Road, along the riverside, to the extreme south east corner of Hampton at Hampton Court Palace This riverside area also includes the islands now known as Taggs Island, then named Kents Ait, and Ash Island.”
*Siege of Pleven (Ottoman Empire), also called Siege Of Plevna, (July 20–Dec. 10, 1877), in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–78, the Russian siege of the Turkish-held Bulgarian town of Pleven (Russian: Plevna). Four battles were fought, three being repulses of Russian attacks and the fourth being a defeat of the Turks in their attempt to escape.
The 681 AD peace treaty with the Byzantine Empire that established the new Bulgarian state was concluded at Varna. In 1854 Varna became a base for Anglo-French troops operating against Sevastopol during the Crimean War.
In 1521 Belgrade (capital of Serbia and one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Europe and the World) was conquered by the Ottomans, and there followed a period of tug-of war between the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empires, who took turns destroying the city, each leaving behind a cosmopolitan legacy.