“The name Barons Court is possibly inspired by the Baronscourt estate in Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland, where Sir William Palliser, who built part of the area, may have had connections. Unlike Earl’s Court station, Barons Court is written without an apostrophe.”
From the Historic England entry:
“Barons Court Underground Station was built in 1904 and opened in 1905 to serve the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR). It was built on existing track laid out in 1874 when the line was extended from Earl’s Court to Hammersmith. At that time the area was still agricultural land, but by the end of the century it had been developed with housing. The name Baron’s Court may have been devised by Sir William Palliser, who owned and developed the land in this area. In 1901 the near-bankrupt MDR was acquired by the American transport entrepreneur, Charles Tyson Yerkes, becoming a subsidiary of Yerkes’s Underground Electric Railways Co of London Ltd (UERL). Under the UERL the planned programme of electrification of the District Line was implemented. Barons Court Station also served the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway, also part of the UERL, which opened in 1906 and was soon known as the Piccadilly Line. In 1931 the stairways and platform canopies were rebuilt, and the platforms extended.
Harry Wharton Ford (1875-1947) was architect to the District Railway from 1900-11. He designed a number of stations for the District Railway, including Earl’s Court and Fulham Broadway, both listed Grade II.
The platform canopies were rebuilt in 1931; the corrugated iron roof cladding is modern. The platforms are notable principally for the series of original back-to-back wooden benches bearing the station name, and free-standing timber sign and poster boards. The enamelled metal signs probably date from the 1920s.”