“Turnham Green is a London Underground station in Chiswick of the London Borough of Hounslow, west London. The station is served by the District and Piccadilly lines although currently Piccadilly line trains normally stop at the station only at the beginning and end of the day, running through non-stop at other times. To the east, District line trains stop at Stamford Brook and Piccadilly line trains stop at Hammersmith. To the west, District line trains run to either Chiswick Park or Gunnersbury and Piccadilly line trains stop at Acton Town. The station is in both Travelcard Zone 2 and Zone 3.
The station is located on Turnham Green Terrace (B491) on the eastern edge of Chiswick Common. It is about 200 m (220 yd) north of Chiswick High Road (A315), and as well as Central Chiswick the station serves the Bedford Park area. The actual Turnham Green park is much closer to Chiswick Park station.
The station is located close to the site of the Battle of Turnham Green (1642), during the First English Civil War.
Turnham Green station was opened on 1 January 1869 by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) on a new branch line to Richmond built from the West London Joint Railway starting north of Addison Road station (now Kensington (Olympia)). The line ran through Shepherd’s Bush and Hammersmith via a now unused curve and initially the next station towards central London was Grove Road station in Hammersmith (also now closed).
On 5 May 1878 The Midland Railway began running a circuitous service known as the Super Outer Circle from St Pancras to Earl’s Court via Cricklewood and South Acton. It operated over a now disused connection between the North London Railway and the L&SWR Richmond branch. The service was not a success and was ended on 30 September 1880.
In 1913, the Central London Railway (now the Central line) obtained parliamentary approval for an extension to Richmond. This would have had a deep-level station at Turnham Green. The stations each side would have been at Heathfield Terrace and Emlyn Road. The plan was delayed by the First World War and an alternative route was adopted in 1920, which was not progressed.
In the early 1930s, the London Electric Railway, precursor of the London Underground and owner of the District and Piccadilly lines, began the reconstruction of the tracks between Hammersmith and Acton Town to enable the Piccadilly line to be extended from Hammersmith to Uxbridge and Hounslow West (then the terminus of what is now the Heathrow branch). Express non-stop tracks were provided for the Piccadilly line between the stopping lines of the District line. Services on the Piccadilly line began running through Turnham Green on 4 July 1932.
To provide a better interchange with the Richmond branch of the District line, Piccadilly line trains began stopping at Turnham Green station in the early mornings (from the first train until 06:50 Monday to Saturday, 07:45 on Sunday) and late evenings (from 22:30 until the last train) only from 23 June 1963. During the rest of the day they run non-stop through the station as before. Local residents have been campaigning for more Piccadilly line trains to stop at Turnham Green with trains only stopping in the event of delays to the District line whereby large numbers of passengers are left waiting on the platform or occasionally while scheduled maintenance work is carried out.
However, in December 2013, it was announced that Turnham Green will be made a permanent stop on the Piccadilly line once the line has been upgraded, with work scheduled to commence in 2019 and introduction of the first new train in 2022.”