From Historic England entry:
“HISTORY: In 1850-1, Henry Beaufoy (a member of the distiller family, which moved from gin to vinegar production at their factory in Lambeth), built the Lambeth Ragged School, Newport Road (off Black Prince Road), as a memorial to his wife Harriet. Amongst the board of trustees at the time was John Doulton, of Doulton Ceramics, Lambeth.
Around 1903 the site was sold to the London and Metropolitan Railway Company, and a new site was sought by the trustees, which included two members of the Beaufoy and Doulton families. It is thought that there were two temporary sites before the Institute relocated to Black Prince Road in 1907. The new school was designed as a technical institute for boys by the architect F.A. Powell. The foundation stone was laid on 21st February by Mildred Beaufoy wife of Mark Beaufoy chairman of the governors. A plaque with motto was moved from the original building and incorporated in to the new building. Additional land was acquired in the 1920s/30s by London County Council, and an extension to the main building was added (see image).
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The Beaufoy Institute, Lambeth, is an interesting example of an early C20 boys technical school (1907, by F. A. Powell), which has its roots in the Ragged School movement of the early C19, and is connected to the family firms of Beaufoy and Doulton also based in Lambeth. It has an attractive architectural front of the period and several interior features of note. Research has suggested that it was a test site for ‘Cockrill-Doulton Patent Tiles’, an invention of J. C. Cockrill, borough engineer for Great Yarmouth. It seems likely that the extensive glazed tiling in the building was constructed using this method, but the technology seems to have had limited application; this appearing to be one of possibly only a few experimental examples.”