A series of seven London County Council plaques were produced in 1925–6 in the ‘Della Robbia’ style, featuring a colourful raised wreath border. Five plaques of this type, manufactured by Doulton, survive, including that shown above.
From the website of English Heritage:
“WESLEY, JOHN (1703-1791)
Plaque erected in 1926 by London County Council at 47 City Road, Islington, London, EC1”
“On November 1st (All Soul’s Day), John Wesley commissioned his house to be built for his own use and for visiting preachers. It was designed by George Dance and built by a local builder and one-time preacher, Samuel Tooth.
Wesley moved into this small Georgian townhouse on October 9th 1779. He was to use it as his London base for the last twelve winters of his life. He spent the rest of the year travelling the length and breadth of the country on horseback; in the summer months he would visit and preach to his Methodist societies round the country.
As Wesley’s wife had left him some years earlier, he lived as a bachelor and occupied the first floor. The remainder of the house was used by visitors, preachers and servants. Wesley often referred to those staying in the house as his ‘family’.
After Wesley’s death in 1791, the work at Wesley’s Chapel continued and the house became the residence of the Superintendent Minister of the Chapel. In 1898, after extensive restoration, John Wesley’s House was opened to the public as a museum. The house contains many of John Wesley’s belongings and furniture, including his electrical machine and his study chair.”