Pictured: Victorian wall post box at corner of Twickenham Riverside and Sion Road. (Historic England): “Boxes from the reign of George V account for about 15% of the total. There are smaller numbers, in descending order, of boxes from the reigns of George VI, Victoria, and Edward VII. From 1857 wall box-type post boxes came into use for fixing into existing walls.”
From the Hidden London website:
“…By the early 16th century Richmond and Hampton Court had both become royal palaces. Twickenham lay between them and members of the royal households began to build homes in the area. By the 17th century a hamlet called Heath Row was linked with the main village by buildings along Heath Road. The present street pattern of central Twickenham was all but established by 1635.
A small number of grand houses – including Orleans House (the surviving part of which has recently been restored), Marble Hill House and York House – later occupied the riverside and the village’s grassy riverfront contributed to the famous view from Richmond Hill.
The terraces of Montpelier Row and Sion Road were built in the early 1720s and the White Swan public house dates from around the same time.
Traffic to the area increased with the building of a bridge to replace the ferry to Richmond in 1777. A good deal of building took place to the west of the green after the enclosure of 1818.
Further population growth followed the coming of the railway to Twickenham in 1848. The original station was located at the northern end of Grosvenor Road and Queen’s Road, across London Road from its present site. Most of the neighbouring area was developed between 1880 and 1895, as was St Margarets to the north.
York Street was created in 1899 to bypass Church Street, which was too narrow to cope with the Richmond traffic. The increased traffic and the easier access by railway made Twickenham less of a riverside retreat than it had been and in the latter part of the 19th century the large estates started to be broken up and sold off for plots for smaller houses.
In 1909 Twickenham became the first permanent home of the Rugby Football Union. The site now covers 30 acres beside the Duke of Northumberland’s River…
(Wikipedia): “The Duke of Northumberland’s River or D. O. N. River consists of separate upper and lower artificial watercourses in west London, United Kingdom. The older name Isleworth Mill Stream/River more accurately describes the economic motivation behind its construction.”
…and the stadium seats 75,000. There is a museum beneath the east stand with interactive displays, period set pieces and items from the famous Langton collection.
The Harlequins rugby club plays nearby at the Stoop Memorial Ground, named after their legendary player and statesman of the game AD Stoop…
(Wikipedia): “Adrian Stoop (27 March 1883 – 27 November 1957) was an English rugby union player of Dutch descent.
He played 182 times for Harlequins between 1901 and 1939, and won 15 caps for England.
He was president of the Harlequins 1920–1949. The club’s ground, The Stoop, is named in his memory.”
…Over the course of the 20th century, with central Twickenham largely built up, developers first shifted their attention outwards to localities such as Whitton and then began to replace the large houses that had characterised the district with more affordable properties.
The vicinity of the station has been radically remodelled in recent years – as has the station itself, as part of the Twickenham Gateway project. Phase two of that project will see six retail units open and over 100 new homes be built by early 2021.”