Above: St Andrew Holborn with City of London boundary marker, on western wall of Holborn Bars, facing Brooke Street.
“…Andrew was martyred by crucifixion in Patras. He was bound, rather than nailed, to a cross, as is described in the Acts of Andrew. He was crucified on a cross form known as “crux decussata,” which is an X-shaped cross or a “saltire.” Today this is commonly referred to as “St. Andrew’s Cross.”..”
“Holborn Bars, also known as the Prudential Assurance Building is a large red terracotta Victorian building on the north side (138–142) of Holborn in Camden at the boundary of the City of London, England. The block is bounded by Holborn to the south, Brooke Street to the west, Leather Lane to the east and Beauchamp Street to the north.
Located close to the Holborn Bar city boundary of the City of London, Holborn Bars was built on the site of the former Furnival’s Inn building of the Inns of Chancery. It was designed in Gothic Revival style for the Prudential Assurance Society by architects, initially Alfred Waterhouse, and his son Paul Waterhouse who became a partner in his father’s firm from 1891, and built by Holland, Hannen & Cubitts in phases between 1876 and 1901.”
From: All the Year Round, 1871: a British weekly literary magazine founded and owned by Charles Dickens:
“Just past the monastic gates of Furnival’s-inn, and between that den of lawyers and the narrow crowded turning to Gray’s-inn-road, there exists a short dingy street, closed at the southern end by the wall of the church of St. Albans. The dim thoroughfare, otherwise quiet, sordid, and dirty enough, resounds at early hours with the appealing bell that summons the low-brewed costermongers of Brooke’s Market, the unkempt roughs of Fox-court, the wild Irishmen of Greville-street, and the mocking organ-boys of Leather-lane. On the right of the street (eastward), as you enter it, stands a curious, truncated building, that looks like a cutdown man-of-war, but really is a huge furniture warehouse, that has been partly burnt down and never properly rebuilt. The houses in Brooke-street are divided amongst the usual petty trades, with here and there a thermometer maker, the overflowing of the Italian colony in Hatton-garden. An alley on the west side leads the evasive pickpocket, who by chance finds himself here beset, into Gray’s-inn-road, a turning on the other leads the wayfarer into the Piedmontese settlement of Leather-lane. Of colour, brightness, gaiety, there is no trace here; and even if the sunshine, on some favoured summer sunset, does stream down upon the eastern side of the street, it soon fades away, as if unwilling to make the dulness and dinginess of the locality seem greater upon its departure.”