*from Shakespeare’s Henry V: Act 3, Scene 2.
From: (Thrale Street Conservation Area Appraisal (October 2012) http://www.southwark.gov.uk) “The earliest surviving property in the Thrale Street Conservation Area is a short terrace at Nos. 55-59 (consec.) Thrale Street. These two-bay, three-storey houses have 12-pane sash windows in a yellow stock brick façade and date from c1800. It is thought, however, that this may be a refronting of an earlier terrace. No. 55 has a semicircular arch and fanlight above the door, while all the other openings have flat arches of gauged brick. Unusually, the doorways to Nos. 56-59 are flanked by reeded pilasters supporting a bracketed timber fascia and cornice in the manner of shop fronts.”
“The Anchor Brewery was a brewery in Park Street, Southwark, London, England. Established in 1616, by the early nineteenth century it was the largest brewery in the world. From 1781 it was operated by Barclay Perkins & Co, who in 1955 merged with the Courage Brewery, which already owned the nearby Anchor Brewhouse. The Park Street brewery was demolished in 1981.
The brewery was established in 1616 by James Monger Sr. in Southwark, on land adjacent to the Globe Theatre. On his death, the brewery passed to his godson, James Monger Jr. James Child acquired the brewery after the younger Monger’s death in 1670, and owned it until his death in 1696. His son in law, Edmund Halsey, managed the business with James Child from 1693, and subsequently as sole proprietor until his death in 1729. The brewery was then purchased by Ralph Thrale, the brewery manager and a nephew of Halsey, for £30,000 in instalments over 11 years…”