Above: plaque based on coat of arms of Duchy of Cornwall. The shield has been in use since around the 15th century and was based on the arms of Richard of Cornwall (1209-1272). Granted by Royal Warrant on 21 June 1968. The heraldic shield is ensigned with the Heir Apparent’s coronet. Sable, fifteen bezants, five, four, three, two, one.
From Images George Rex at Flickr.com:
“Louis de Soissons Architects, c.1920s, for the Duchy of Cornwall. Red-brick Neo-Georgian flats with this “impressive doorcase”. The building is recorded as making a positive contribution to the Waterloo Conservation Area. Duchy Street, London Borough of Lambeth.”
“Louis Emanuel Jean Guy de Savoie-Carignan de Soissons CVO RA FRIBA (1890–1962) was the younger son of Charles, the Count de Soissons. An architect, he was called for professional purposes Louis de Soissons.
de Soissons was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, but moved in childhood with his family to London. In 1913 he won the first year of the Henry Jarvis scholarship of the Royal Institute of British Architects, enabling three years of European travel and study.
The first major commission of the practice he set up (Louis de Soissons Partnership) was the ‘master plan’ (so-called – a very early use of the term) for Welwyn Garden City (1920), a planned town created by Ebenezer Howard in neo-Georgian style, built on cheap redundant farmland. Louis de Soissons was appointed architect for the town in 1920 and the practice was significantly involved in its development over the next 60 years. He designed the concrete Shredded Wheat factory for the eponymous Canadian company.
Other important early projects included the Home Office and Duchy of Cornwall Estates in London, where the future Edward VIII was the effective client and the Nag’s Head Estate in Bethnal Green, London, E2 which was one of the few private “slum clearance” projects undertaken by a private landlord. When young he had been much influenced by 18th-century Italian architecture, and gained a reputation as a classical architect, but with a deep humanism resulting from his new town work.”
“The Duchy of Cornwall (Cornish: Duketh Kernow) is one of two royal duchies in England, the other being the Duchy of Lancaster. The eldest son of the reigning British monarchinherits possession of the duchy and title of Duke of Cornwall at birth or when his parent succeeds to the throne, but may not sell assets for personal benefit and has limited rights and income while a minor.
The duchy owns 531.3 square kilometres (205.1 sq mi) – 0.2% of UK land – in over 23 counties, including farming, residential, and commercial properties, as well as an investment portfolio.
By the 17th century, the ducal estates were classified as being a part of one of three groups:
- Antiqua maneria – the ancient manors of the Earl within Cornwall
- Forinseca maneria (foreign manors) – those manors outside Cornwall but attached to the duchy by the creation charter
- Annexata maneria, or annexed manors – those manors added to the Duchy holdings following its creation as a county palatine
The estates are the source of land management work for seven offices:
- London Head Office
- Hereford Office, Dewsall, Hereford
- Eastern District Office, Newton St Loe, Somerset
- Poundbury Office, Poundbury, Dorchester, Dorset
- Western District Office, Restormel Manor, Lostwithiel, Cornwall
- Dartmoor Office, Dartmoor, Yelverton, Devon
- Isles of Scilly Office, Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly
The Duchy owns The Oval cricket ground in London, which was built on land in Kennington that formed part of the original Duchy estate.
Traditionally, Cornish people refer to the Duke of Cornwall in the Loyal Toast, much like the Duke of Normandy in the Channel Islands, or the Duke of Lancaster in the county palatine of Lancaster (Lancashire).
The manor of Climsland was one of the seventeen Antiqua maneria of the Duchy of Cornwall. The manor was recorded in the Domesday Book (1086) as Climson; there were 5 hides of land and land for 24 ploughs. One hide was held by the lord (with 3 ploughs and 9 serfs) and 30 villeins and 30 smallholders had 17 ploughs and 4 hides of land. There were also 3 acres of meadow, 16 square leagues of pasture and 3 square leagues of woodland. The income from the manor was £6 sterling.
In the 12th century, Climsland became part of a 250 hectares (620 acres) royal deer park called Kerrybullock, or Carrybullock, until it was disparked by Henry VIII in the 16th century. The park was mentioned in 1282 and its extent was 600 acres. In 1337 the park was recorded as being three leagues around and as having 150 deer.In 1352 Edward the Black Prince sent 6 of the oaks to Stoke for the building of the church there and in 1357 ordered that herds of deer be sent to his other parks at Launceston and Trematon to restock them. In the park was a lodge, still called Lodge House in 1677. Along with other ducal parks Carrybullock was disparked c. 1540 by King Henry VIII; for the next four and a half centuries it became pasture for cattle (today’s Duchy Farm).”