“Edgware Road station was opened on 15 June 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) when it extended its line from the temporary northern terminus at Marylebone. In common with other early stations of the lines owned by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London, the station was designed by architect Leslie Green with an ox-blood red glazed terracotta façade. The BS&WR had parliamentary approval to continue the line to Paddington station, but the approved route, which curved under the main line station and ended under the junction of Sussex Gardens and Sussex Place on a south-easterly heading, was not suitable for the company’s plan to extend west or north-west from Paddington. The BS&WR chose not to construct the tunnels west of Edgware Road whilst it considered alternatives.
In 1911, permission was received to construct a tightly curved 890-metre (2,920 ft) long extension to Paddington which ended heading north-west under the main line station. Work started in August 1911 and the extension opened on 1 December 1913.
When the station opened, its narrow frontage was in a row of shops, but the buildings to the south of the station were demolished in the 1960s to enable the flyover to be built, leaving the station as one of two isolated buildings. Originally, an exit from the station was provided in the adjacent Bell Street. Although this is no longer used the building provides office accommodation for the station managers.
In September 2007, there was a proposal by London Assembly member Murad Qureshi to rename this station Church Street Market, as this would end the confusion between this station and its namesake on the Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines.”
Project Details from biotecture.uk.com in 2011:
“Transport for London commissioned Biotecture to design, grow and install this eye-catching living green wall (just visible to right of image above) in a determined effort to counter air pollution in London. The Living Wall is fixed to the side of the underground station. In the 1960’s the row of shop fronts to the aouth of the station were demolished to create room for the adjacent fly over and this large blank wall remained. The location, on the corner Marylebone Road, was one of the areas identified as needing urgent air quality improvement.
Funded by the government’s Clean Air Fund, the air quality benefits of the wall were monitored by Imperial College London who assessed the chosen plants for their ability to remove particulate matter from the air. The huge green wall holds 14,000 plants of 15 different species with smaller leaves and a variety of textures, which were specifically chosen as they are better air filters of PM10 – harmful particulates from traffic fumes. Biotecture’s green wall at Edgware Road is one of the many projects supported by the Mayor of London’s ambitious Clean Air Fund to improve London’s air quality. The planting design for the Edgware Road Living Wall is made up of intersecting, wavy, vertical lines which have the effect of softening the building and creating a naturalistic planting style. To learn more about the benefits to the environment, people and businesses of outdoor living walls you can visit our ‘Benefits of exterior living walls‘ page.”