“1874 by Charles Jones. Ragstone in a French Gothic style. Slate roof. Two storeys with tower to right having main entrance under. Smaller entrance to ancillary offices right (see image). Central block of 3 bays with single storey bay window on centre line. Projecting wing further left under gable. Interior modernised. Originally designed as Ealing Town Hall.”
“Charles Jones (1830 – 24 August 1913) was Ealing’s first architect, engineer and surveyor. He held these posts for fifty years, and is known for his work on civic buildings.
His most prominent work is that of Ealing Town Hall. The original council offices before this, which he also designed in Gothic, lay 500 yards (460 m) further east along the Uxbridge Road. The premises are now occupied by a bank. English Heritage has classed it as a Grade II listed building.”
From Ealing Civic Society’s Town Centre Plaques Walk:
“The route starts at the NatWest Bank, The Mall, a building
designed by Charles Jones in 1872 and built in 1874 as the
town hall, with council offices for the newly formed Ealing
Local Board. By 1886 it was too small and was sold to a bank.
It is constructed of Kentish flagstone with a slate roof and a
small tower. Grade ll listed, it is described by Pevsner as
“more daring than most suburban municipal buildings of this