*from In Memoriam, Tennyson’s 1850 elegy.
“In the Roman Catholic, Anglican and Presbyterian traditions, a glebe is land belonging to a benefice and so by default to its incumbent. In other words, “glebe is land (in addition to or including the parsonage house/rectory and grounds) which was assigned to support the priest”.
The word glebe itself is from Middle English, from the French “glèbe” (originally from Latin gleba or glaeba “clod, land, soil”).”
“Glebe Place is a street in Chelsea, London. It runs roughly north to south from King’s Road to the crossroads with Upper Cheyne Row, where it becomes Cheyne Row, leading down to Cheyne Walk and the River Thames. It also has a junction with Bramerton Street. The street was known as Cook’s Ground for some period up to the mid-nineteenth century.
36, 37 and 38 Glebe Place, an early to mid-19th century terrace are grade II listed houses.
50 Glebe Place looks much older, but was actually built between 1985-87 for the advertiser Frank Lowe and described in The London Compendium as a folly.
Glebe House, with a Georgian facade, but completely rebuilt inside, contains 13 artworks commissioned from the Georgian artist Tamara Kvesitadze.
West House is a Queen Anne revival house at 35 Glebe Place, built in 1868–69 by the architect Philip Webb, on behalf of the artist George Price Boyce.
- Vera Brittain with her friend Phyllis Bentley in 1935
- Winifred Holtby
- Elliott Seabrooke
- Sir George Catlin (political scientist)
- Shirley Williams, Baroness Williams
No.27 Fontana Studios
No.35 West House, Chelsea
No.39 Key House
No.40, also Key House
- Conrad Dressler. Also kept studios at No.45 Cedar Studios
No.45, Cedar Studios
No. 53 Glebe Studios
- Anton Dollo
No.69 Turner Studios