*from Wikipedia entry on “Dean and Chapter of St Paul’s”.
Shown: Victorian postbox at Thornton Avenue. (Historic England): “Boxes from the reign of George V account for about 15% of the total. There are smaller numbers, in descending order, of boxes from the reigns of George VI, Victoria, and Edward VII. From 1879 onwards this box continues to be one of Britain’s most recognisable symbols.”
Winifred M Heard, for many years the reference librarian at Chiswick, wrote in the Brentford&Chiswick Local History Society Journal 2 (1981):
“…Dr Thornton was the Prebendary of Chiswick when his avenue was built. The prebendalmanor also gave its name to roads and mansion flats in the east of the parish.”
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7, Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden. Originally published by Victoria County History, London (1982):
“…By the early 1890s housing was almost continuous along the high road. The streets leading north to the Back common and the railway had been built up, including Belmont Road, Turnham Green Terrace, Thornton Avenue and, on the Hammersmith boundary, Goldhawk Road. South of the high road there was still open land east of Devonshire Road, but housing was already advancing down Annandale Road and Chiswick Lane, towards what was soon to be an estate on some of the fields of the Prebend manor. A compact area, it was known as the ABC estate, since its roads were named alphabetically from north to south, beginning with Ashbourne Grove and Balfern Grove.
The plots, sold by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the 1870s, had been only partly built up when auctioned by the British Land Co. in 1896 but contained 327 houses by 1901. The population density was high, with many houses divided among poor families. Immediately to the north the old Manor Farm House was replaced by Wilton Avenue in 1896, as part of a separate project. To the east some houses were built along the edge of Home field but were later demolished, the field itself being preserved for recreation while middle-class housing spread over the area to the north.”