“Architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner has the building dating back to 1909 and originally designed by Wagner and Rutherford of her Majesty’s Architectural Works. It was formerly the Money Order Office of the Post Office, before its conversion to apartments in the 1990s. The architectural style is described as, “an angular version of Edwardian Baroque… with brick channelling and a hint of Lutyens.” The front facade alone certainly makes it one of London’s finest examples of the Beaux Arts style, its dressed stone preserved in wonderful condition by the current residents.
The building’s name is derived from the Beaux-Arts architectural style, a particular aesthetic taught at the École des Beaux-Arts school in Paris, in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The original sales brochure states that the foyer, “divides into three wings, each named after leading exponents of the Beaux Arts idiom… Garnier, Baltard and Labrouste, names that evoke the golden age of Beaux Arts architecture.”
Manor Gardens is a quiet residential street tucked away, between Holloway Road and Hornsey Road in the borough of Islington.”
Matt Humphreys reported for the Islington Gazette of September 29, 2010:
“…a new report by an English Heritage inspector states: “The foyer area is a good survival of an Edwardian interior and thus has claims to special interest, but it constitutes a small element in this huge building and is not of such quality or rarity to weight the case in favour of listing.”.”