Above right: (hidden-London): “St Saviour’s church on Warwick Avenue was consecrated in 1856 and its section of the road was widened to create a grand approach, making this perhaps the broadest avenue in London.”
From the Historic England entry:
“CITY OF WESTMINSTER WARWICK AVENUE, W9 31/50 Cabmen’s Shelter near junction with Clifton Gardens. G.V. II Cabmen’s Shelter l888. Timber framed with tongue and groove timber panels and felted hipped roof to eaves. 7 bays by 3 bays. Upper part of wall largely glazed. Planked door.Stump of fleché to roof. Overhanging eaves with prominent rafters. One of earliest surviving examples. Erected by Cabmen’s Shelter Fund.”
“These shelters were small green huts, which were not allowed to be larger than a horse and cart, as they stood on the public highway. Between 1875 and 1914, 61 of these buildings were built around London, the first being on Acacia Road in St John’s Wood near George Armstrong’s home. Most were staffed by an attendant who sold food and (non-alcoholic) drink to the cabbies and were provided with a kitchen in which the attendant could cook this food and also food provided by the cabbies themselves. The attendant was not generally paid, but was expected to make an income from these sales. The shelters were also provided with seats and tables and books and newspapers, most of them donated by the publishers or other benefactors. Most could accommodate ten to thirteen men. Gambling, drinking and swearing were strictly forbidden.
Thirteen of the shelters still exist and are still run by the Cabmen’s Shelter Fund, including (above) Warwick Avenue, London W9 – centre of the road, by Warwick Avenue Underground station.
All are now Grade II listed buildings.”