Above (Wikipedia): “Nutford House is a university hall of residence in London, located on the corner of Nutford Place and Brown Street, near Marble Arch in the City of Westminster.
It was built in 1916 and was acquired by the University of London in 1949, after which it was expanded to take in five terraced houses in Brown Street, known as the Annexe and one house in Seymour Place. Accommodation is provided for 223 men and women students in 181 single and 21 twin rooms.
The warden for many years was the sole surviving relative of Howard Carter (archaeologist), the discoverer of Tutankhamun’s tomb and signed the death certificate (last seen on display at the 1992 British Museum’s exhibit of Howard Carter’s career before Tutankhamun).”
From: Folk-Etymology: A Dictionary of Verbal Corruptions Or Words Perverted in Form Or Meaning, by False Derivation Or Mistaken Analogy (1890), by Abram Smythe Palmer:
“NUTFORD, an English place-name, is properly the ford of the neat cattle, sometimes called nout, A.Sax. neát.”
Edward Walford, in ‘Oxford Street and its northern tributaries: Part 1 of 2’, in Old and New London: Volume 4 (London, 1878):
“In the early part of the present century the Edgware Road was void of any connected row of houses beyond those already mentioned; but there were one or two public-houses at the corners of rural cross-roads…
At the time of which we speak, Nutford Place and the other streets which connect Edgware Road with Bryanston Square did not exist; and a gentleman then residing still further north in Chapel Street well remembered that from his back drawing-room windows he could see the troops being reviewed in Hyde Park by George III.”
From: Living, Leisure and Law: Eight Building Types in England 1800-1941, ed. Geoff Brandwood (2010):
“During the First World War, the housing needs for women greatly increased as they moved to urban areas to engage with the war effort. The (National Association of Women’s Lodging Houses) report of 1915 described how ‘the strain of the war has rendered (their hostels) abundantly useful.’ Although planned before the war, a home for ‘educated women workers’, Nutford House, opened in 1916, citing ‘the increasing number of occupations now being thrown open to educated women such as schoolmistresses, students, secretaries, shorthand typists and manageresses of small businesses’. The hostel on Brown Street in Lisson Grove was designed by Victor Wilkins who exhibited his design at the Royal Academy in 1915. It was an impressive building in a busy Wrenaissance style with deep dentilled cornice and stone quoins – the quality particularly noteworthy given the wartime conditions in which it opened. Private bedrooms accommodated around 100 women and one matron, but all other facilities were shared including a large social room with a beamed ceiling and fireplace, lounge, library and dining room that together took up most of the ground floor and basement. Another feature was the vast range of bicycle stores under the pavement – fourteeen individual vaults, seven feet by ten feet wide, surely enough for each of the hundred residents to store a bicycle.”
From: Architectural And Social History Of Cooperative Living (1988), by Lynn F Pearson, Patricia White:
“…Several more blocks of women’s rooms and flats were built, the idea of mixed accommodation being perhaps rather too progressive for the mainly small philanthropic companies which funded them. These blocks were intended to be substitute homes, where women could rent either flats or single rooms; one of the later blocks was Nutford House, just north of Hyde Park, built in 1916. It was (and still is) a six-storey building of unusual purple brick, its windows dressed with red brick. As originally planned, its dining room was in the basement, close to the kitchen, and directly under the entrance to the ground floor. The social room, library and lounge were on the ground floor, all the bedrooms being on the first floor and upwards. They were simply a series of single rooms, ranged along a corridor which ran the entire length of the L-shaped building.
Nutford House was described as a residential club, and its system of single rooms and communal dining hall did not really keep to the spirit of the original idea of cooperative housekeeping, which demanded that households should cooperate in order to economise and save time…”