Above: Entrance to Grays Inn is seen to right of the Cittie of Yorke.
From Historic England entry:
“Public house. Mostly of 1923-4, probably by Ernest R Barrow, replacing earlier wine shop of G Henekey and Co. Front faced in Portland stone with leaded lights, side and rear elevations of stock brick with wooden windows. Tiled roofs. Neo-Tudor style.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and cellars. Front symmetrical, divided into 2 vertical units. Ground storey of front with doors at ends, centre with windows above timber base, slightly altered. Above, shallow bay windows left and right rising through 2 storeys and capped with string course carried on ornamental corbels, and then a third storey with single mullioned windows and terminating in parapet with 2 small enriched and shouldered gables. Large clock on ornamental bracket in centre between first and second storeys.
INTERIOR: public entrance on right leading into wide passage with 4-centred timber arches and paved with flagstones.
Front bar conventional with high panelled dado. Rear bar takes the form of a medieval-style hall running north-south with open timberwork and much dark woodwork, and lit from a clerestory and large bay window along east side. Below clerestory, 3 arches of uneven width with a series of snugs behind. On the west side the bar and above it a gallery on thin fluted cast-iron columns, probably Victorian, supporting casks and barrels of perhaps similar date, and above that again a high passage gallery for access to casks running the length of the room, partly supported from roof, partly by lower gallery and with wrought-iron handrail. Fittings include a freestanding triangular cast-iron ornamental stove fireplace with initials ‘TIK’, reputedly from Gray’s Inn, c1815.
HISTORICAL NOTE: an inscription on the fascia reads: ‘Established as the site of a public house in 1430’. The present building retains few traces of pre-twentieth century work.”